starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check (again)

Default Squat form check (again)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

Here's my most recent workout, I had some problems before with back angle and your que to tighten the hammies really worked, I've fixed all the other glaring issues I can think of for the most part, now it's just a matter of following linear progression. I was just curious if I'm missing something obvious since I've been getting some pain very similar to "runner's knee", which tells me my knees aren't tracking over my toes, and I've also noticed that I tend to favor my left leg since the right side of the bar will dip down on occasions as I come out of the hole. I'm thinking maybe my left leg is stronger than my right, and these are just growing pains. I'll go back to wearing a knee sleeve until it sorts itself out. As always, any advice is much appreciated.

How far forward does your bar drift during each rep? Why might that be happening?

Keep your weight on your heels.

I can see anywhere from 1-3" of travel depending on the rep. I suppose I'm still losing some tightness at the bottom of the squat (butt wink?) and my hips are rising faster than my shoulders. Also I notice I'm not squatting on my heels, more my midfoot. As for the butt wink, I just need to cut some depth, and as for me not squatting on my midfoot and toes I need to lift up my toes. Sound about right?

Squishy shoes are wonderful for doing this to your squat. If you can't trust your heels to be solid, you default to your toes.

Noted. I've got a pair of flat NB 805 cross trainers, and a pair of Vibrams. Which one would be better compared to my Frees, if you had to choose the lesser of two evils? Squat shoes will have to wait until I get my tax return back.

All of the options define the casual trainee. Get a side job.

Rip, isn't a flat sole shoe, like a pair of Chuck Taylors better for squats and deads, whereas lifting shoes are really only better for olympic lifts?

The sad part is I have a side job, I just don't make a lot of money.

starting strength coach development program
    From experience, I can almost guarantee that your knee pain is coming from the fact that your knees are being pushed forward at the bottom of your squat.

Back when my form was quite crappy, see my knees bouncing around below, I had the same thing.

Once I fixed my form, the pain went away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast