Thread: program start date: jan 5 2011

Default program start date: jan 5 2011

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hey everyone:

5'8, 155 lbs

trying to make gains in strength and mass till april

been on the program for 3 weeks approximately. i travel pretty often but i fit in 3 days a week for it. there just might be days where there are 2 days in between workouts.

today (sets of 5)

squat: 45, 95, 135. then 3 sets at 185
    press: 45, 95, 3 sets of 105
    deadlift: 135, 3 sets of 185

Welcome and good luck.

Note that if you are starting a log in this section you should be doing the Starting Strength program. I know that you don't have the book yet, but have you ordered it? Note that you should do 1 heavy set of 5 for the DLs as part of the program, not 3x5.

How much food are you eating? Are you doing any other training?

hi! actually that was a typo, i did one set of 185. i was typing it out in class and i guess i just copied without paying attention x_x haha my bad

i did order the book but i'm doing the practical programming variation of starting strength. however, because my basic lifts don't have the right form so i ordered the starting strength book anyway.

as for food, i'm trying to get .9 grams per lb of bodyweight, so about 140 grams protein. honestly i don't have a lot of direction in how to gain. i'm just trying to eat as much protein as i can get my hands on. i have 2 servings of carbs a day, of which i try for complex grains. im also drinking roughly 6-7 pints of milk a day.

i read on the wikia that committing to starting strength programs is committing to it. it would be unwise to do more or less. so i'm doing the following schedule

workout 1

squat
    bench press/press
    chin ups 3 sets of 15

workout 2
    squat 3x5
    press/bench press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5

workout 3
    squat 3x5
    bench press/press
    pull ups 15x3

But... But where are the powercleans?

if after doing power cleans i can increase my number of pull ups, i might be willing. i like being able to do lots of pull ups, but if my ability to do them won't be affected by learning power cleans, and power cleans are vastly more beneficial for strength/aesthetics, then I might be willing to switch.

Regarding eating, just drink your milk and eat everything in sight giving preference to protein based food. Eat enough to gain about 2-3 lbs/week.

Welcome and good luck. Saw your deadlift video in the technique forum.

And, yeah. Switch to PCs

THE SINGLE best piece of advice about doing SS is to DO SS. Don't fuck with the program. Powercleans are important for the neuro adaptations they drive. Do them.

Also big traps are awersome.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    THE SINGLE best piece of advice about doing SS is to DO SS. Don't fuck with the program. Powercleans are important for the neuro adaptations they drive. Do them.

Also big traps are awersome.
    Agreed. A big DL or squat will turn heads, but nothing turns heads like a big strong clean with a loud stomp.

OP, just be careful when starting the cleans. Learn hang cleans first. They're complicated and easy to mess up. Best single piece of advice: treat your arms like cables attached to the bar, do you pull the bar up with your arms/back.

starting strength coach development program
    hey guys. sorry i've been MIA. im gonna continue practical programming for the rest of this week while I read rippetoe's starting strength. after doing each workout i'll practice form.

any thoughts on the wichita falls novice program? it has both pull ups and power cleans so its piqued my interest

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast