starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne 2011 recap

Default Melbourne 2011 recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cyndi's deadlift.jpgI don't know what Limie is doing and someone wake up Anthony! (While Tall David looks on.).jpgForum folks.jpgVanessa, Rip, Anthony.jpgTall David, Rip, Short David (2).jpg

As we were eating breakfast Saturday morning; watching the sun rise over the Atlantic ocean; preparing to spend a full day in the gym with an obviously great group of people; I thought to myself, “This job doesn’t suck.” As always, Mike and Donna Manning took excellent care of us and the entire group at Harbor City CF in Melbourne. They run one of the “best CrossFit gyms in the nation” (Rip’s words.) Returning to a gym with good friends, excellent equipment and set up, and one of the coolest dogs on the planet is a treat for us. Thanks so much Donna and Mike, we look forward to seeing you in a few weeks in Texas at the Starting Strength Couples Camp and showin’ yall a little down home, north Texas hospitality.

Our first seminar of ’11 brought an unusually high group of folks recovering from injuries ranging from former supraspinatus and adductor attachment injuries; to a blown bicep tendon; to Anthony James (the actor from the movie Unforgiven. Not really but Derek looks so much like him that to call him anything other than Anthony would be weird.) We would need an entire post to discuss Anthony’s past injuries and short leg but in spite of it all, he’s an excellent lifter , hard worker, and an all around awesome guy. The point of this story; however; is that we had a gym full of people who choose not to let past health/tendon/muscle/etc. problems dictate that they just sit around and get weak. They train in an efficient way to gain strength to avoid more injuries or deal better with them if they do occur. It was quite cool. Thanks to everyone for their hard work; great attitudes; and continued support of Starting Strength.

It’s common for the coaches (okay, mainly me with the help of Stef) to give a nickname or two out during these weekends. This weekend, there were so many that I think the only person who was called by their real name was Rip. You’ve already met Anthony, along with Vanessa (who was really Rene’ but I struggled with that so she became Vanessa) from the home gym. Tall David and Short David were a lot of fun all weekend. Short David was 6’2 and a very good sport about being called short for the first time in his life. Jason was just referred to as either the butt guy or the naked guy depending on the story at the time (I’ll just let you wonder about those.) Not Atlanta Steve almost became Mini-David and I know I called Jason ‘Steve’ a few times during the deadlift platform so all in all, it was quite a challenge to actually figure out who we were talking aboot.

We had a few forum regulars which is ALWAYS fun to put names with faces. LimieJosh, Starbuck1851 (soon to be Columbus Steve or Not Steve from ATL. If I got a vote, I like ‘Not Steve from ATL’.) Keeptryn is also Tall David and almost got called Bill a few times by me (are you starting to see the absolute chaos that all these names almost caused??!)

In all, we kicked off the year with one of our best groups, at one of our favorite gyms owned by two of our favorite people who bring around one of our favorite dogs (Hi Bosco!) The wide variety of people with their wide variety of goals and interests made dinners a blast and long training days fly by.

We hope to see you all again some time. Keep an eye out for more Starting Strength seminars; Training Camps; and Events on our home page. If you were with us this weekend, send us some of your pictures or just say Hi. And as always, keep us posted on your progress!

JP

It was a great weekend. There is allways something positive to be said for hanging out with like minded indiviaduals who share the goals and passions. I would highly recommend everyone to attend this event. The knowledge and corrections to my technique were invaluable.

"Short" David

BTW..how do you change use user name for the forum?

It was a fantastic experience; I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who is on the fence about signing up to a seminar.

Quote of the weekend - "It's like losing your virginity to a donkey".

Last edited by jep6095; 02-01-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Ah, now I really see what you were getting at. My low back and hamstrigs were surprisingly sore yesterday, which is what you'd expect with the changes we made in my movement pattern, but it's also provides some teling reinforcement to do it properly when I go in later today.

Good deal LJ.
    And this
    "It's like losing your virginity to a donkey".
    was one of my favorites too. Stick around for your deadlift video.

jp

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Ah, now I really see what you were getting at. My low back and hamstrigs were surprisingly sore yesterday, which is what you'd expect with the changes we made in my movement pattern, but it's also provides some teling reinforcement to do it properly when I go in later today.
    Same here Josh...Saturday was the first time my hamstrings were tired from deadlifting. Amazing what a little coaching will do for you.

Same here Josh...Saturday was the first time my hamstrings were tired from deadlifting
    You both did great and improved quite a bit. Nice job.

Here are a few deadlift videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGKzFkmhsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPcbHS_6lRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYKBLHhMQI

jp

starting strength coach development program
    IN

Steve IN ATL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast