starting strength gym

Thread: Novice with chronic back pain looking for advice

Default Novice with chronic back pain looking for advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark!

I have recently begun training and found your book and website. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us and for participating in these forums.

I am 6'0" and weigh 250 pounds. I have been not been very active for about 7 years and have a desk job. I have been battling chronic lower back pain with recurring flare ups since 1999. In 2000, an orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with a degenerated L4/L5 disc. I believe that the structural problem may contribute to my pain, but that my weakness, excess weight, inactivity, and poor posture at work are the primary factors. I found a set of stretches that have helped tremendously. My chronic pain, on a scale of 0-10, is down from a 3 or 4 to a 0 or 1.

I have been doing the program for two weeks. I am starting out the Squat and Dead lift even lower than I am capable of because I want to avoid injuring my weak back. I am increasing the weight each workout like the plan says. My form is good. I have a good sense of what my back is doing so I know when I have a good curve in my lumbar region. I am using the valsalva maneuver to support the spine.

I do not experience any pain while doing the lifts. But the next day I have an increase of pain in my lower back that feels like the chronic pain I have been dealing with for years. I can deal with the pain; it does not yet stop me from doing the next workout. But I am a little apprehensive because I fear it may get worse as I continue to add weight.

Do you have any recommendations? Like "Use a belt" or "Ignore the low level pain and go visit a doctor if it gets unmanageable."

Sorry for the length of this post. I tried to make this post shorter, but I was pretty sure that you would want to know the background information.

How old are you?

Most reports are that this chronic low-grade back pain goes away withing a couple of weeks of squats and deadlifts. Let us know.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Most reports are that this chronic low-grade back pain goes away withing a couple of weeks of squats and deadlifts.
    What he said. I also have some disc issues at L4/L5 and experienced the same pain that you are describing. It eventually subsided. I've found that squats and deadlifts do more to keep my back feeling good than any stretching or bull shit PT that I ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    What he said. I also have some disc issues at L4/L5 and experienced the same pain that you are describing. It eventually subsided. I've found that squats and deadlifts do more to keep my back feeling good than any stretching or bull shit PT that I ever tried.
    this same thing happened to me. after lifting a while my back got better than ever and i have l4/l5 disc erosion with chronic pain. found a badass chiro and squat and deadlift and have no more pain

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    after lifting a while my back got better than ever and i have l4/l5 disc erosion with chronic pain. found a badass chiro and squat and deadlift and have no more pain
    I have the same problem, and result.

Coincidentally, I have not lifted properly in almost 3 months (stupid 'life'), and my back pain has returned... I've now scheduled into my work calendar periods of "out of office" to minimise the possibility of shit getting in the way.