starting strength gym

Thread: Strange Bar Path Problem

Default Strange Bar Path Problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A few weeks ago I was lifting with my roommate, who has been lifting for about four years (He began with Starting Strength and Starting Strength), and I noticed that he has what appears to be a strange problem with his bench. Before initiating the descent of the bar, the bar is lined up straight like these dashes ----. As he brings the bar down to his chest it rotates to where it looks like a forward slash (/) but not nearly as extreme as the example I have provided. He has tried adjusting his elbow angle on his left arm and the rotation of his left shoulder, but these adjustments have not worked. We were both hoping that you may have some insight into this problem and a possible solution.

Thanks

P.S.- I would take a video, but we don't have a camera.

Well, get a camera, because I can't tell from this description if you mean a plain-old non-vertical bar path or some asymmetry on one side.

This problem may not be able to be solved without a video, and I will try to get one. However, for now, I will try to give a better description. If you imagine the bar to be in a plane parallel to the floor and look down on the bar, it rotates toward his left shoulder without significantly dipping out of the plane on either side. His bar path appears to be vertical, but the bar rotates, almost like a helicopter blade, towards his left shoulder. He appears to have this problem even at low weights (95 lbs).

Then he has an old shoulder injury. Your approach will depend on the injury status, and whether it hurts him to correct it.

I have the same issue with the left side wanting to drift up towards the shoulder if I don't pay attention. For me it works to drive the entire bar - not just the center - to the location on the ceiling it started at, my shoulders will figure out how to get it there.