starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS from the book not the same one used at the gym? Help wanted for gf.

Default SS from the book not the same one used at the gym? Help wanted for gf.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip. First, I'd like to say, I've greatly enjoyed your books. I have em' all. The one I like best is Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity. When you spend enough time online answering questings and viewing threads on message boards, I think you appreciate books like that even more, lol.

My question is pretty straight forward. After browsing ideas about SS and Brawn workouts, I came across a thread on the dreaded bb.com where someone had mentioned you train people differently at your gym compared to what was written in SS.

"NyRippetoe,
    Here's another idea. The program in the back of SS is NOT the same program Mark teaches in his gym. Here's the "gym" program:

Monday
    Squat
    Bench/Military
    Pull Ups/Barbell Rows

Wednesday
    Squat
    Bench/Military Press
    Dead Lift

Friday
    Squat
    Bench/Military
    Pull Up/Barbell Row

The workouts are NOT alternated A/B. They are done on the days shown. The bench/military are alternated each workout. One week you do bench twice, the next week you do military twice. Mark teaches the pull up to everyone. Barbell rows can be substituted as you advance (which you've already done). You can do either pull ups or barbell rows or you can alternate them.

The point I'm trying to make is that deads are only done once per week. If you always do them on Wednesdays, you can back squat heavy on Mondays and Fridays and do light squats or front squats every Wednesday.

The light squatting day on Wednesdays should help you with both your squats and DLs. It works as a recovery day for squats and helps you be fresher for the DLs."

Basically, what are your thoughts with this? I noticed power cleans weren't even on the list. And the lighter squat on Wed. seemed more like a TM method to me. I'm just trying to get all the facts in order as I'll be having my girlfriend (who is moving here to Michigan from PA) start SS. I ordered the DVD recently along with the log books so she can have that as a reference as well.

Thx a lot in advance.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-03-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling correction, bb.com link removal

This just goes to show you what happens on the internet. I have never coached anybody on the barbell row as a novice, ever. Nobody. Anybody that says otherwise is fucking liar that knows where to find me if they don't like being called a fucking liar. Tell everybody I said that. We don't have everybody clean, because not everybody needs to clean.

I seldom show barbell rows to anybody, and it's been several years since I have used it. The last time was probably when I showed it to Glenn back about 2004.

I figured that was the case. Not to mention, it came from a bodybuilding forum, lol. After reading all your books, I thought it seemed silly that this person said that. My gf is really excited to start the program when she moves here. Thx for the reply Rip. I'll be updating a journal for her when she gets here

After reading all your books, I thought it seemed silly that this person said that.
    Anyone can say anything, about anyone, here on the webz. We NEVER use barbell rows on any novice walking through door at WFAC. In fact, I can count on one of Heath's hands the number of people in the gym doing them. Annoying misrepresentation (see: LIAR) at it's best.

Best of luck getting your GF on the program, feel free to call me at the gym if you need any help.

jp

Thx, I really appreicate that. She won't stop talking about it. I'm glad she is so interested. I'm going to have her read the book too when she gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I seldom show barbell rows to anybody, and it's been several years since I have used it. The last time was probably when I showed it to Glenn back about 2004.
    How did the Barbell Row acquire Glenn's (sur)name?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-03-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Spelling correction, cleanup.

It didn't anywhere except the internet. And in his defense, it was not him that made that happen. It was fools that were unaware that barbell training existed long before they started doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We don't have everybody clean, because not everybody needs to clean.
    That's the first time I hear you say that. Can you elaborate, please?

I made a comment the other day saying that I personally think it's pointless to spend so much time on such a complicated lift that only a few people really benefit from, and I got shat on by other forum members.

I'm quite sure Rip deeply regrets the moment he wrote that dreaded sentence on page 298 of SS 2nd ed. :

"People without access to bumper plates may chose to use the barbell row instead of the power clean."

And the crap that followed it. I can clearly picture Rip going "Fuck. FUCK. Why did I write this shit?"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    That's the first time I hear you say that. Can you elaborate, please?

I made a comment the other day saying that I personally think it's pointless to spend so much time on such a complicated lift that only a few people really benefit from, and I got shat on by other forum members.
    You have 1630 posts here, and this is the first time you noticed me mention this? I am dumbfounded. Stupified. Amazed by your level of misunderstanding. Well, maybe not. If you think "complicated" and "only a few people benefit from" is why they are not good for 55-year-old housewives with wrist injuries (mentioned last week) but are mandatory for 18-year-old athletes, you deserved the shat.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I'm quite sure Rip deeply regrets the moment he wrote that dreaded sentence on page 298 of SS 2nd ed. :

"People without access to bumper plates may chose to use the barbell row instead of the power clean."

And the crap that followed it. I can clearly picture Rip going "Fuck. FUCK. Why did I write this shit?"
    So YOU'RE that fly on the wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast