starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Powerbuilding Log

Default Tom's Powerbuilding Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thought I'd give this a go. Basically following a "powerbuilding" routine - bodypart style training with a focus on the basic barbell lifts and powerlifting assistance exercises. Been doing mostly isolation stuff for the past few months since I've been rehabbing multiple injuries, so basically trying to ease my way into a pure strength routine at some point in the next year.

A little history - used to be a powerlifter in college. Best total was just over 1200, around 300, 400 and 500 for the bench, squat and dead, 181lb weight class.

Have had a few serious injuries since then that have resulted in long layoffs. Ugh! Coached a close friend at the NJ State Championships last weekend and now I'm very motivated to get back in the game.

Right now weight around 210 at 5'10. There's a meet coming up in South Philly in a few months, so I'll probably try to get as close to 220 as possible. But the real goal is just to stay healthy and keep enjoying doing what I'm doing.

So yesterday I deadlifted for the first time in about 15 months. Multiple herniated discs made that kind of difficult lol. Worked up to a set of 5 at 275 (resetting at the bottom of course), which I was actually very happy about considering the layoff. Felt pretty easy, probably could have gone heavier, but wasn't worth it. Gotta be extremely careful. Although I have been doing stuff for the back and hamstrings, so I wasn't expecting strength to be completely shot.

Today:

Shoulders

Press: 3x5 @ 145
    Nothing too special, but I just started doing these again. Hopefully I'll be able to add weight each week for a while.

Face Pulls and Other Rotator Cuff Assistance Work

Had some deep tissue work done for lower bicep tendonitis today. Doesn't effect most exercises, but can't really curl or do pullups. So taking a couple days off and will probably either bench or squat monday.

Shitty day @ the gym today. Started off w/ bench, worked up to a set of 5x245, but my shoulder was really killing me (bicep tendonitis) so decided to stop there instead of upping the weight. Did some 15lb dumbbell curls just to get the blood flowing after.

Wide Grip Pullups - 3 sets of 12
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 315. Again easy. Hopefully a good thing. Just tryin not to re-injure the back

Bent over rows -3x6x225

So I think I'm gonna sign up for the IPA South Jersey Rumble on May 21st. It's run by Gene Rychalk who always puts on great meets. I'll probably just do the ironman as I'm not really ready to back squat yet. If all goes well I'd like to do a full power meet after.

Legs

Belt Squats: 15x45, 5x135, 5x225, 5x315, 2x5x365

GHR: 3x20 with a 45lb plate, focusing on going really slow on the negative

RDLs: 6x135, 6x225

100lb dumbbell farmers walks on the toes for calves : )

The belt squat machine is an awesome contraption for people with low back issues. The guys at Westside Barbell make regular use of it and I highly recommend it to anyone with back problems!

From Saturday

Press - 3x155 (ugh, was hoping for more), 5x145, 5x145

side laterals - 20x15lbs, 3 sets

banded lateral rotation

Monday

Dumbbell Bench: 3x12x100lb dumbbells

Pushups: 3x30

Wide Grip Dips, 3x15, very slow on the way down

Sorry, haven't been updating this in a while. I'll try to get back on track.

Monday:

Incline Bench: 3 sets, 225x8

Wide Grip Dips, 3x10, slow on the negative

Tricep Supersets

Foam Rolling, Stretching, 10 min on the bike cool down

starting strength coach development program
    I'm raging over here seeing that your pressing 145x3x5 after a long layoff. RAGING!

Seriously though, nice numbers, and good luck prepping for the meet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast