starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength decreasing over time

Default Strength decreasing over time

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

First of all I thank you for your books and videos, I have revisited them several times over the years and they have really helped to get me back to the important basics and block out all the fads.

My query: I am puzzled by how much my strength has decreased in the big lifts (squats and deadlifts) over the last few years and wonder if you have any insights...

I have been lifting for 15 years (since I was 13) and my strength peaked from around 19-21 years old. Since then it has been on the decrease despite most of the variables remaining the same in terms of time off, training parameters and periodisation etc. Where I once deadlifted 240 lb for 5 reps or so, I now lift around 180. With squats it used to be say 230lb for 5 reps, now it's more like 143 - big differences!! With all the 'accessory' type lifts I haven't noticed any great changes.

Surely at 28 I am far too young to be getting weaker! I would like to be on the up!!

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks for your time.

Height, weight, diet info would be important here.

As Rip stated, the above is needed. Other issues possibly affecting your lifting are programming; recovery; work and dude stress; and overall being responsible for yourself as an adult opposed to being taken care of (assuming you were) into your college years.

Answer the above from Rip and search your log to see where you're coming up short. Don't fret though, I'm going on 44 and have hit many PR's in the last month due to solid programming and better focus. (Having Rip as a coach has helped a bit too.)

jp

Height: 5'2" (I'm female, just incase you didn't notice the name, so not quite a midget...)
    Weight: around 130 lbs - my weight has fluctuated by 15 lb or so over this time but 130 (current weight) is a pretty average weight for me. I think I was around 125 when I was at my strongest.

As far as diet goes I can't think of any great differences between then and now. I would say I eat better now due to more knowledge and maturity (supposedly),
    I do not have a set diet or set amounts of protein etc. I do not exclude anything from my diet in terms of meat, dairy, gluten etc. I eat it all.

Then there should be no reason for this, other than the ones Juli discusses above. It's your program application and your ability to bear down on the barbell.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-07-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    As Rip stated, the above is needed. Other issues possibly affecting your lifting are programming; recovery; work and dude stress; and overall being responsible for yourself as an adult opposed to being taken care of (assuming you were) into your college years.

Answer the above from Rip and search your log to see where you're coming up short. Don't fret though, I'm going on 44 and have hit many PR's in the last month due to solid programming and better focus. (Having Rip as a coach has helped a bit too.)

jp
    Thanks for your input - I wasn't really 'taken care of' in the sense of my parents preparing food for me or monitoring my activities in any way in terms of rest etc (perhaps disturbingly). I always looked after myself. I think I am having more recovery time now than I was then, I can't cope otherwise;P
    I am always varying my programming - I don't think I have overused any particular exercises/ set/rep schemes at the expense of strength.
    Dude stress has always been constant and ongoing...

Good to know you are hitting PR's, I would very much like to do that myself in the near future!

OK, I have been looking into my programming and recovery for a few months, but I guess I will have to try some different things. I do a little 'cardio'. Perhaps that will be out. And I will work on the bearing down... Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenP View Post
    OK, I have been looking into my programming and recovery for a few months, but I guess I will have to try some different things. I do a little 'cardio'. Perhaps that will be out. And I will work on the bearing down... Thank you.
    Might also be useful to know what program you're doing.

Recently I have stripped it back to basics: 5 x 5 using 3 basic exercises eg: squat, military press, chin up or deadlift, military press, RDL etc. 3 x per week.
    In the last few months I have done a few different things : lower/upper splits just for a change, longer full-body workouts in the 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps range and quite a lot of extra shoulder and ham/glute stuff.

Also muay thai (1 hour 2 x per week) but I have had a break from that for the last 8 weeks or so.

I throw in some interval training in the form of kettlebell circuits or sprints a couple of times a week, and I walk for relaxation. Cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe back off to something really basic and see how things go? I'm thinking TM or something along those lines. You made sure you are getting enough calories?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast