starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift lockout question

Default Deadlift lockout question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I compete in powerlifting and wanted to ask you some advice around my deadlift. My personal bests are (all Raw/Belt only at 250lb): Gym: 570/380/600, Meet: 540/347/600. Please see the video below from a meet last August. So here's the question, essentially my pull is generally fast off the floor, but much slower to lockout (from knees up). I'm curious how you might go about correcting that deficiency or working effectively on the top end. When I miss, it's typically like hitting a wall about 2" above the knees. Is it as simple as adding rack pulls into my training or perhaps more upper back work? If so, I'd be interested to know what you might suggest.

For reference, my training essentially follows a "Sheiko" type template. If you're unfamiliar, here's the basic structure to my week:
    3 days per week:

Mondays are generally Squat-Bench-Squat with the first squat working up to, say, 5 triples at 80%, then bench work, followed by a 2nd squat that might be something like 5x5 @ 70-75%. My first squats are always competition style and my second are typically narrower olympic stance.

Wednesdays are Deadlift and Overhead. Deads are done from the floor, working up to, generally speaking, 5 triples at 80%. This is followed by overhead work (strict press, push, jerks typically done in 5s or heavy singles).

Fridays are basically a repeat of Monday.

I typically include pull ups 2x per week and that more/less rounds it out.

Again, that's general, the set and rep structure varies over the course of a 4 week prep block, but you get the idea. I wanted you to see that because it seems to me there is plenty of work going into the hip/hamstrings areas, but clearly not as much going into the upper back (if that's the issue). For reference I've included a video of my squat form as well.

Anyway, if you get time, I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this site, it really is very well done.

Brad

Meet deadlift:

Squat:

This is the problem rack pulls were invented to fix. I missed my deadlifts just below the knee when my low back rounded, and rack pulls got me to 633 at 220. If you have not tried rack pulls/haltings, it's probably time to do so. You're so strong off the floor that this may get you to 650 pretty quick.