starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes (Kind of)

Default Boxes (Kind of)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I know that traditional box squats are not a part of the program; however, is there any problem using a box simply to gauge the depth and aid in the "sitting back" portion of the squat? For example, only using the box to touch lightly before ascending without actually pausing on the box.

In other words, is there a problem with not actually learning how to squat? Yes.

Seems like it's a tool in learning to properly squat. It's a cue for when you've gone deep enough and a lot more immediate than taking and posting a video. Of course you could have a "buddy" stick a thumb under there but that's just plain wrong. Gives a whole new meaning to butt wink. Just sayin'.

It sounds like that, but it's not. It's a way to avoid learning how to get deep without a box.

I'm using bungee cord for something like this purpose to make sure I am dialing in and getting the feeling of the right depth hammered into muscle memory. I don't intend to keep this up much longer, just as a tactile cue to my backside to let me know.

Why don't you just squat down, shove your knees out, and bounce off the bottom when everything tightens up? That will be deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrogue View Post
    It's a cue for when you've gone deep enough and a lot more immediate than taking and posting a video. Of course you could have a "buddy" stick a thumb under there but that's just plain wrong. Gives a whole new meaning to butt wink. Just sayin'.
    Having a training partner who is educated and can give verbal cues not only pays dividends in the long run, but it makes for a much less gay experience in the gym than having him stick his thumb in your butt.

In my limited experience, I would say that having some sort of tactile cue would be detrimental because it would almost certainly be harder to commit to the depth and use the body's elastic reflex to drive out of the hole. Knowing there is something there that you could drive your tailbone into would keep me from wanting to actually commit to hitting depth for fear of driving my coccyx into my sacrum.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-11-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Repaired the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why don't you just squat down, shove your knees out, and bounce off the bottom when everything tightens up? That will be deep.
    That's true enough Rip, but I have aspirations of competing in powerlifting and I don't trust my "gut" and the feeling that I might be going deep enough. I'm just insecure enough that I need reassurance, and then some spooning and cuddling after.

I've used a tactile queue, but usually only once. Some people just won't respond to being told "lower". I guess they don't believe me or something. When I say, "touch the medicine ball with your butt" then they get it. Once that happens I never use it again.

Otherwise, you'll get people feeling around with their ass at the bottom even after you've taken the target away.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hijack: I feel the bounce when I allow my butt to tuck in under, i.e. rounding my lower back.

I dont feel the bounce when I keep my back tight as in per your Active Hip Director's Cut article.

Other than that exact moment of the bounce, everything feels better if I am keeping my lower back arch tight though.

I lift more weight when I relax and tuck under, but my back hurts later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast