starting strength gym

Thread: Help...I'm getting old and fat!

Default Help...I'm getting old and fat!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently discovered your program and have been doing it for a couple of week with success in that I have been increasing my load almost every workout.

However, I wonder if this is the right program for me. Here is my story...I am 39, 6'1" and have recently put on 20 lbs to get to 225 lbs. This is an all time high for me as I think I need to be in the 190 range. The weight is all in my belly. I have worked hard and drank a lot of beer to get where I am today. I need to lose this fat. I have man boobs. I disgust myself. The beer has been cut out, so have fatty cuts of meat, chicken wings, etc.

I feel as though I need something in addition to the strength program. I am used to running or doing 45 min spinning classes that burn 800 calories. I like to work hard and push myself but don't really know where those calorie burning workouts fit into Starting Strength. And is Starting Strength the right way to get rid of the belly fat?

Any advice from you or other experts is appreciated. It's not long before my ugly shape will start disgusting my wife as well...and then I'm literally left with my dick in my hand.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.

You can't go wrong with the program in this book: The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle: The Simple Plan to Flatten Your Belly Fast! by Dr. Michael Eades. It's a low carb program designed primarily to target your belly fat.

http://tinyurl.com/47fw5ts

Long Term: You need to increase your muscle mass and clean up your diet. Muscle burns more calories even when it's doing nothing. The diet side of the equation should be obvious. You need enough protein and calories to support building and maintaining muscle, as well aas any intense exercise you might be doing.

Short Term: any kind of HIIT (the extra 'I' is important) like Tabata's will disolve the fat right off you. But if you don't have a long term game plan, that shit will come back in about a week. If you are on a calorie restriction that could affect your progress (everyone here will tell you that it will). The extra work on your muscles could also affect your recovery, and thus your progress (this is also generally true, but varies greatly across the population).

doing it for a couple of week with success in that I have been increasing my load almost every workout.
    I just saw this.

ALMOST every work out? After a couple of weeks?

What's wrong bud?