starting strength gym

Thread: update on my gf and I's lifting program

Default update on my gf and I's lifting program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just recieved my copies of the basic barbell training logs. They look great. I also ordered some micro plates for me and my girlfriend for continued progress. This is more or less an update and a double check per-se. I trust my judgement based on all of your books I've read, but I'd still like to see what ya think.

Shes going to be here in late march from PA to Michigan and I'm planning to sit down for a movie night when she gets here and watch the SS dvd with maybe a few drinks Romantic, I know.

I've got her all set up to start with SS but for myself, I was wanting to run TM since I've been unable to progress in gains from workout to workout. I can explain my training history if that helps but simply put, I've only been able to make linear gains sometimes every monday and friday or maybe just one of the days a week, and its usually with a 1 lb plate on each side. On the bright side, since I've started lifting, I've gained over 50 some lbs - and youre right, the fat was extremely easy to take off. I got down pretty damn low in bf% and climbed back up to my old weight but this time leaner. Now its time to go up another weight class just this time a bit slower.

Either way, I was looking at setting up a TM to be this:

Monday -
    Squats 5x5
    Bench 5x5 / press 5x5 alternnated
    Bent over rows 3x8 or whatever

wed -
    Squats 2x5 @ 80% of monday
    Bench 2-3x5 @ 90% of monday / press 3x5@mondays weight if it was presses then.
    Pullups 3 x bodyweight - maybe add some weight down the road
    Back extensions 3 x 10

Friday -
    Squat 1 x 5 rm
    Bench 1 x 5 rm
    Deadlift 1x5 rm

I put the deadlifts on friday because of the fatigue overload on monday. I think I would do better with my 5rm sets on one day where there is less volume. At the same time, I'm affraid it could take away from the next mondays volume day with squats because of lower back fatigue since deadlifts are hard as hell.

I cannot power clean because my gym doesn't allow it. They don't even allow chalk, but I said fuck it and I sneak in a shoe box with my chalk in there and apply it over my box so theres no mess.

Anyways, I'm sure these "hey check my routine!!!11!" threads get annoying, but I think I'll be all ready to go with some input here

Thx again for all the help. It's nice to have forums that are so willing to provide meaningful help.

Just FYI, if you want Rip's take you have to post your questions in his Q&A forum. Here, you'll just get us mortals.

On your program:
    First, there is at least one other thread on where to place DL on TM, and a lot of people put it on the max day rather than the volume day, so you're in good company.
    Second, your gym allows deadlifts but not power cleans? While not allowing both is retarded, you really should challenge them to justify this. I can see if someone is dropping the weights from shoulder height, so have a rule against that and make sure you explain to the one or two lifters who actually train sensibly that they need to control the weight or they will lose the privilege. Show them that you can control the weight and won't be an exhibitionist who tosses the weights to get people to notice them. Sorry, I'm sure you are more frustrated with this, but this crap drives me bat shit crazy (& part of why I train at home).
    Third, pullups should progress just like the other exercises. Either you are increasing reps (up to about 3 sets of 15), or then, adding weight. While some progression is a given if your body weight is increasing, you will likely not be gaining weight all that rapidly at the intermediate stage unless you are eating a whole lot and adding fat as well as lean. It just wasn't clear from what you wrote for pullups if you were programming them for progression.

Cheers.

Thx for the feed back. I'll post this over there too.

Yea, the gym rules just dont make sense. They have posters all over the damn place saying no chalk! But the gym membeship is 200 bucks for 2 people that lasts 2 years so thats hard to beat.

As far as the weight gain, I was going to do it in a slower fashion.

oh, nice, the thread was moved for me. Some good mods over here

Thats what I get for having like 5 pages open browsing forums..end up posting things in the wrong sections.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcguire View Post

Shes going to be here in late march from PA to Michigan and I'm planning to sit down for a movie night when she gets here and watch the SS dvd with maybe a few drinks Romantic, I know.
    Im sure u will show her some squatting that night...

Default Significant other as training partner

starting strength coach development program
    If you look around there are some threads on this subject. My sense is the general opinion is that it's NOT a good idea. My wife and I train together, so I'm convinced that it *can* work, but it wasn't/isn't always unproblematic and I think it took all the skills derived from learning to live with each other for 10+ years to make it work this far.

You've been warned.

So, it's like this: sometimes one of you won't want to train while the other does and you'll appreciate the one who's pulling to do it for getting you to the gym; then sometimes one of you REALLY won't want to/be able to train and you'll resent the one who's holding you back. In the gym, doing this sort of thing, you'll run into all your weaknesses and physical incompetencies - this will sometimes make one or the other of you defensive - and trying to get a time-consuming difficult task done under time-pressure can make defensiveness really counter-productive... I'm sure you can imagine that those evenings don't end well. Then you've got the stock you've both put into "doing the program" -- you've invested time and effort aplenty -- now you're partner is blocking you - or so it can very easily seem. The thing is, if this is a friend or training buddy ONLY, the relationship can handle a lot of outbursts and wrangling as you figure out how to both get what you want out of it -- and if it doesn't work out, there's not that much cost to deciding to move on -- but when it's your life partner you're pretty much stuck having to sort it out. That can be a great thing if you can, but go in with both of you aware of the weirdness that can arise and an understanding that you are trying to make something work which many loving couples have decided it would be better for the relationship to do without.

On the other hand, learning to listen to your training partner can also be a good exercise. I've learned more from having to listen to my wife -- and she doesn't spare my feelings when it comes to telling me what she thinks of my form, need to back off in weight, etc. I think I've made more progress in the gym between Rip's programming and my wife's coaching than I ever did working out with my buds (or listening to any of the myriad of experts prior to Mr. Rippetoe). So, there are also definitely reasons to give it a try.