• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Here's all the important stuff.
    Stats
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 190lbs

Working Weights (from most recent workout,started the program with all lifts using only the bar)
    Squats: 3x5x225lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5x215lbs
    Press: 3x5x100lbs
    Chins: 1x5,1x4,1x2 (all BW)
    Bench: 3x5x120lbs
    Rows: 3x5x140lbs

Cleans: I'm still trying to figure these out, doing some hang cleans, RDLs, etc.

I started doing SS around 3-4 months ago, after I found a copy of the book at the library. I read the book, and liked the idea of a beginner program, as I'd never lifted weights before in my life (ever!), being the stereotpyical college nerd. I was of average weight at 182lbs when I started off. Oh, and I'm vegetarian and been so my entire life.

That about covers it, I think, next workout this Sunday.

Workout 1

Squats 3x5x230lbs
    Not too many problems with these, though I took breaks of about 4 min between each set

Bench 2x5x125lbs, 1x3x125lbs
    Not happy about stalling, my problem is that I have trouble locking out at the end, I get stuck something like 2/3 the way up.

Row 3x5x140lbs
    Easy peezy, definitely my favorite exercise

Dips 3x5
    Nothing to say, except that I like the bean-based variety more

Meal
    Definitely the toughest part of the workout, I was literally unable to stand after these

1x4 Boiled eggs (for quick, easy consumption)
    1x3 500ml glasses o'milk ***NEW PR***
    1x3 Bananas

That's about it, Next workout tuesday

Welcome to the club.

4 minutes is fine between sets. 5 minutes is recommended as a minimum anyway.

On the bench, you're probably just not set up properly. Read the book over and over. Everyone thinks that they know how to bench and so I think that chapter tends to get skipped.

Forget dips for now. More likely to fuck up your shoulders than anything else.

Some people might give you a little stick about being vegetarian, but most will mean well by it, so don't be offended.

You're not a vegan so I doubt you'll have any problems with your diet anyway. Just make sure you get enough calories in, don't be a lame-ass like me.
    Last edited by Konstantinos Kavos; 02-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.

I'll definitely reread the Bench section before Thursday, knkavo, as I'd love to have that lift go up.

As for the dips, I'll check up on them, but I'll definitely back off for the next workout.

And I didn't expect anything more on the vegetarian thing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Workout 2
    Only slept for like 3 hours the night before (design project due today), so the results were expected

Squats 2x5x235lbs, 1x4x235lbs
    I really thought I was going to get all 3 sets, but I lost tightness at the bottom of the last rep. I hate stalling on squats, and this really set the tone for the rest of the workout.

Press 1x5,1x4,1x3 105lbs
    Those are all the reps I was able to get with strict form, I still got 5 reps using leg drive.

Deadlift 1x3x215lbs, 1x2x215lbs
    I did 5 reps, but I really can't count it as one set since I couldn't break the bar from the ground after the 3rd rep, so I had to take a minute rest. My deadlift is REALLY weak, and it's easily my least favorite exercise (I always feel like I'm going to break by my back doing these). This is the second time I've stalled on this weight, so I'm going back to 185lbs and hopefully working back up

Chinups 3x4xBW
    The only satisfactory part of the workout, really.

Meal
    2x1 2 egg omelets w/ cheese
    1x3 half liter glasses of milk
    1x2 bananas