starting strength gym

Thread: Roy's Log

Default Roy's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm starting up the novice program from Practical Programming. I figured keeping a log will help for tracking and planning over time. Here's a little about my background:

Male, 34 years, 230 lbs

Sports: Football (years ago), now active in judo and bjj for 4-5 years. Sporadic weight training for some years of various programs, often upper body focus, hence:

Injuries: Major shoulder surgery from football, various knee problems. Somewhat recent herniated l5-s1, had sciatica for a few months, now in a long process trying to get stronger from that lovely experience.

Goals: I'm now healthy and injury free for the most part. My goal with the program is to get strong. I'd love to squat 350 for 3x5 before I'm 35 this fall, and before moving to a fancier progression. Ideally, I'd like to be up around 400 1RM by the end of the year. My previous 1RM for squat was 355, and highest tested 5RM was 310 a while back. I'm a bit unsure where to start with this run but I will just do the advised warmup and increase until the bar slows down and go from there.

Modifications: For disclosure...Chronic shoulder injury and lack of range of motion in my left arm (which I've struggled for years with following surgery) got me curious enough about a safety squat bar to try one out and buy one. That's what I use. It has handles long enough that I can position it securely closer to what you might call a 'low bar' position, but no doubt it is its own thing.

The combination of back and knee problems have had me try various forms and squat variations / stance, and I have found I can box squat with the safety squat bar, pain free, to a below parallel box. I'm feel I'm getting old and restless, and finding this method appears to suit me I've decided to pursue getting stronger this way for the foreseeable future.

I also have a GHR and Reverse Hyper, so I may be using those as warm-up or assistance as well...keeping in mind to cut back if need be when it starts getting hard. I do jiu-jitsu twice a week, and occasional conditioning. My diet has typically been huge. I'm not planning on anything radical, but will be looking at 'cleaning it up' a bit.
    Last edited by Roy; 02-18-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Default Workout 1, 2-18-2011

Squats: 225x5x3
    Bench: 185x5x3
    Chin-Ups: BW, 8,6,5
    GHRs: BW, 10,10,8

Felt good. 3 mile run today as well since it was a beautiful day.
    Last edited by Roy; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Default Workout 2, 2-20-2011

Squats: 230x5x3
    Press: 95x5x3
    Deadlift: 245x5x3
    Dips: BW, 8,8,6
    Last edited by Roy; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.