starting strength gym

Thread: 1/3/5

Default 1/3/5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anyone here have any experience running 5/3/1 in reverse, a 1/3/5 in effect, where the heavy week is done first after the deload week?

I am curious as to why it may be a good/bad/silly idea.

You will burst into flames.

seriously though, depending on how high your lifts are for the "1" week, they could leave you trashed for the other weeks. i know i like to go light the week after i pull some heavy deadlifts but that might not be an issue until a couple of cycles of 1/3/5.
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    You will burst into flames.
    This is a common and, sadly, drastically underreported side effect of trying new things.

try it, if it works you publish your own moderated website that you could call powerdesperado.com or something. where you could spread your word and help others. lol joke.

No but I've done it 3/5/1 with heavy singles after the work sets. Basically what is going to be outlined in the new 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    No but I've done it 3/5/1 with heavy singles after the work sets. Basically what is going to be outlined in the new 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book
    Yeah, I think this would be better for the TS. There is already information on the internet about it, so you can start it up right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Yeah, I think this would be better for the TS. There is already information on the internet about it, so you can start it up right away.
    Its good, but honestly I wouldnt run it like this on its own. I would maybe run 5/3/1 as written for 3 cycles, then every 4th cycle run 3/5/1

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Its good, but honestly I wouldnt run it like this on its own. I would maybe run 5/3/1 as written for 3 cycles, then every 4th cycle run 3/5/1
    I haven't had a chance to play around with it. Really don't you use the same percentages as 5/3/1, but you just add some heavy singles on the "1" week, and some singles/doubles "3" week, and leave the 5 as is? Does that sound about right? I know it runs 3/5/1 instead of the normal 5/3/1, and you don't go all out for a rep max (saving energy for the heavy lifts). Did you find it harder to recover or make gains from?

Thanks in advance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I haven't had a chance to play around with it. Really don't you use the same percentages as 5/3/1, but you just add some heavy singles on the "1" week, and some singles/doubles "3" week, and leave the 5 as is? Does that sound about right? I know it runs 3/5/1 instead of the normal 5/3/1, and you don't go all out for a rep max (saving energy for the heavy lifts). Did you find it harder to recover or make gains from?

Thanks in advance.
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head concerning the modifications in 3/5/1

I have a lot of experience with 5/3/1 and I compete in PL. So i tried 3/5/1 for a couple cycles, but honestly, I felt like it was better suited towards peaking for a meet... I just felt like i got stronger from 5/3/1 cycles.

If it were me, I would focus solely on 5/3/1 and then 4 weeks out from a PL meet, use 3/5/1 to peak.