starting strength gym

Thread: Formerly broken collarbone.

Default Formerly broken collarbone.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm starting out on SS after finding a gym half worth going to (definition: has a power rack) that isn't a 2 hour round trip... sure, there's no platform, no bumper plates, no spare bar for deadlifts (I take the bar from the power rack as I've only seen others use the cage as a coat stand so far) but at least it has a cage instead of a pathetic excuse for a rack and even allows chalk. Sorry if that's too enthusiastic, but it's taken me a few years to even find this place so I'm excited. Sue me.

Anyway, about 12 years ago I broke my right collarbone.
    Long story short, "we don't tie shoulders back any more" so it healed crooked.
    They didn't do anything about it because "it'll straighten up over time"...
    It didn't.

A straight-edge laid across the top of my sternum shows right shoulder (the break-side) is about an inch or two further forwards than the left.
    "Free" nationalised healthcare... you get what you pay for.

Holding the bar (low position, just below scapula spine) with my delts when squatting has bruised my right arm (not a complaint, just an observation by the better half) but not my left so already I think there's something different happening on each side.

Short of having it re-broken and re-set I can't see the bone changing in a hurry, but is there something I should consider for the program? Any technique modification or anything to look out for to be sure I don't kill myself with the bar or otherwise make a mess of myself?

Thanks, coach.

I think you just squat, and what shall be will be. Especially if it's only bruising you a little. We all have our little asymmetries.