starting strength gym

Thread: Let's try this again...

Default Let's try this again...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So this is my third attempt at the SS program after a long layoff. I am determined to get through the program and hit the levels I want to hit. The first two attempts at progression had pretty good results.

Attempt 1: 28 Workouts BW - 185 to 205
    SQ: 155 ---> 275 only a minor reset
    DL: 185 ---> 330
    PC: 95 ----> 155
    BP: 155 ---> 210, failed hard at 215
    OP: 75 ----> 120

I stalled out hard at the end numbers and was probably ready for the first reset. Things came to an abrupt halt when I all of a sudden started shitting blood. Not knowing what it was, I took a few days off, went to the doc, etc. Then I had to take 2 months off to cram for major exam.

Attempt 2: 18 workouts BW - 208
    SQ: 175 ----> 225
    DL: 185 ---> 295
    PC: 95 ----> 155
    BP: 155 ---> 200
    OP: 75 ----> 120

Low back problems (compartment syndrome-esq thing rip talks about), due to not eating enough, sleeping enough, led to my being overtrained and stalling out prematurely. Life sort of got in the way, as I started a new job that forced me to put training on hold for a while.

So fast forward to now... I'm finally in a position to do this right. Biggest thing for me is going to be eating. I was underweight throughout both attempts at the program... so it's going to take some discipline there. Current body weight is about 195.

Default Workout 1

Body Weight: 190

SQ: 125x5x3
    BP: 115x5x3
    DL: 155x5x1

Horrifically out of shape. I have a lonnnnnng way to go.

Default Workout 2

Body Weight: 190

SQ: 135
    OP: 65
    DL: 170

DL form feels awkward, but better now that the weight is getting heavier. Squats felt ok, but I need to get in there with a camera and see what all is going on.

Default Workout 3

Finally got back into the gym after missing a workout last week. Family and a demanding job are going to make consistency a challenge.

I repeated my squat weight and increased the deadlift weight this workout. In the past I have been a little too conservative with my starting weights. 115 was far too light for bench for workout 1.

SQ: 135
    BP: 135
    DL: 175 - feels much better now that the weight is getting heavier. Seems easier to maintain good form.

Squats went well. Still need to get in there with a camera to see what I'm doing. Also, been experiencing sore TFL's lately, so need to keep an eye on that.

Workout 4

Hamstrings were sore as shit today.

SQ: 145 - Had a hard time with the first two sets. Wasn't leaning forward into the bottom enough, so I got no bounce. Third set was much better. 155 on Friday.
    OP: 75 - this is a good weight. 5 pound jumps from here.
    DL : 190 - Felt pretty easy

Default Workout 5

Case in point. Thursday and Friday last week were hell. Two 14 hour days back to back, chained to my desk going balls to the wall all day.

I got done with work Friday having hardly eaten anything all day. Worn out all weekend, and today I started back.

SQ: 155 --> Felt pretty good actually. Still getting form back.
    BP: 140 ---> Felt kind of heavy. Just need to eat more.
    DL: 205 --> This felt heavy in my grip and form felt awkward. Need to get in there with a camera.

Default Workout 6

SQ: 165 ---> Felt good today. 175 next.
    OP: 75 ----> good. 80 next.
    PC: 50kg+20lb = 130lbs. Felt great. 135lbs next.

Workout 7
    SQ: 175
    BP: 145
    DL: 205 ---> Kept this at the same weight since my low back was pretty tired. sets went well, going up to 220 next.

Today hurt. Lower back sore, hips and knees achy. Seems to be where the hamstrings attach to the back of my knees. External rotators in the hips are probably inflamed.

Taking some NSAIDs and foam rolling all weekend.

Default Workout 8

starting strength coach development program
    SQ: 185 -getting heavy, but felt good. probably have maybe one more 10lb jump in me... maybe two.

OP: 85 - was supposed to do 80 but forgot. turns out 85 went just fine. 90 next.

PC: 60kg (132lbs) - This was no problem. The jump was a little too small, so I'll go up to 60kg +5 next time.