starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squatting, oh press, deadlift technique check! :)

Default squatting, oh press, deadlift technique check! :)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

oh press is by far the weakest lift in this vid but i really worked on getting my hips into that deadlift.

squat 215! hopefully i got the form right this time. i felt my wrists in line with my elbows but i could be foolin myself

all criticism appreciated ^^

Your deadlift is good enough now to work with / add weight. But really, maybe you should find a coach in your area. Look up 'spine of scapula' on google images and figure out where that is on your body. Place that directly over the bar when you set up. Your arms should angle in slightly back towards you, i.e. NOT vertical. Your stance could be a tiny bit narrower too.

Press looks good. Try and bring the bar back down to your shoulders/chest at the bottom. Get a big breath before each rep. You spent a little too long with the bar at lockout after the 4th rep, and that's probably why you missed the last rep.

The angle and obstructions make it hard to judge depth on the squat. I think you might want a couple inches narrower of stance to help you get real deep, until you can get it figured out. Again, big breath before each rep, at the TOP, before you begin to descend. Do you not have access to a belt? It will help things a lot.

DL: Like Mike said you need to be a bit more forward over the bar. Notice that your hips rise a bit before the bar breaks off the ground. The position you're in right when the bar breaks is where you should be setting up.

Press: You're not getting under the bar enough. Slam your head forward when the bar passed your forehead. Check SS for pics.

Squat: What the hell are you thinking getting up on your tip toes to unrack the squat? Don't you realize how dangerous that is? When the weight gets heavy and your head is spinning after your last rep, do you think you're going to be able to get on your tip toes to rack the weight? Move those hooks DOWN. Also I can hear you inhaling while you drop. Inhale and hold your breath BEFORE YOU DROP. The point of the valsalva maneuver is to provide torso rigidity throughout the movement, not just once you finish taking a breath at the bottom.
    Last edited by RobCor; 02-24-2011 at 11:04 PM.

I didn't look at the DL or press because I didn't give a damn.

I did, however, look at your squat.

You have no sense of balance. One rep looks good, the other looks like a good morning. Another looks decent and the next looks like train wreck.

Things to work on

1) Keep your entire foot PLANTED on the platform - that includes your toes (from my point of view it looks like you're ACTIVELY trying to keep your toes from the floor, which fyi is bad!)

2) The object is to squat in a vertical bar path (or as close to it). Visualize that vertical bar path, and try to keep the weight distributed over your midfoot from TOP to BOTTOM.

3) Breathe at the top and maintain tension throughout the lift

4) Your elbows are dropping. When your elbows drop, the weight will shift. When the weight shifts, you'll have to compensate for it. This creates for an unbalanced trapeze act. We don't like trapezes around these parts.

5) Buy the book if you haven't already. The fact that you didn't set the pins properly makes me think you haven't purchase it, or if you did you didn't take the time to read it thoroughly. It's cheap and far more valuable than any other weightlifting literature you probably own.

P.S.

I looked at the deadlift. Your deadlift position isn't supposed to be the same as your squat position.

Get your back more vertical.

Start with your hips higher

Don't roll the bar forward when your shins touch it

And for the love of all that is holy and innocent, buy the damn book!
    Last edited by Ello; 02-25-2011 at 12:25 AM.

man this is gonna be tough. i didn't realize i did so much more wrong after trying to fix it.

it will be arriving march 1st. sorry it took so long. chances are after reading the book i still won't have the form right 100%, so in the future, do you still increase weight even after form issues?

and while i would love a coach, i'm a poor college kid lol. barely afford eating right :[

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Get your back more vertical.

Start with your hips higher
    erm... unless he grows his arms longer, he can't do both of these things at once.

Your stance is way too wide on the deadlift. Move it in so that your heels are only about 6 inches apart and your toes are pointed out from there.

Also, what Ello most likely meant was have your hips higher to start and your back more HORIZONTAL. Don't be scared of a horizontal back as long as your back is in proper extension.

Also, eat a fucking burger. Weren't you the guy talking about doing P90X to lose weight? Fuck, man. Go read Rip's latest TNation article about skinny kids that refuse to get big and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Squat: What the hell are you thinking getting up on your tip toes to unrack the squat? Don't you realize how dangerous that is? When the weight gets heavy and your head is spinning after your last rep, do you think you're going to be able to get on your tip toes to rack the weight? Move those hooks DOWN. Also I can hear you inhaling while you drop. Inhale and hold your breath BEFORE YOU DROP. The point of the valsalva maneuver is to provide torso rigidity throughout the movement, not just once you finish taking a breath at the bottom.
    All of the above. It's far better to have the pegs one notch too low than one too high. Forget your toes, there will be times when you will be too tired to even stand up tall enough to rack it.

Get tight and slow down when you've just unracked and you're getting into position to squat.

I think you need to work on your breathing for all of your lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmanMEOW View Post
    man this is gonna be tough. i didn't realize i did so much more wrong after trying to fix it.

it will be arriving march 1st. sorry it took so long. chances are after reading the book i still won't have the form right 100%, so in the future, do you still increase weight even after form issues?

and while i would love a coach, i'm a poor college kid lol. barely afford eating right :[
    your form is pretty decent, just a few minor things that need to be corrected. you got potential. i like your squat, you're flexible, that's one of the most important things for a beginner, but so many lack.
    good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast