starting strength gym

Thread: If a session is cut short...

Default If a session is cut short...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So today I was half way into my warm-up sets on the bench press when we were told we had 10 minutes to finish up as the gym was closing early.

A snap decision had me skip several sets and get to my bench and deadlift work sets quickly. I managed both - though I took longer than 10 minutes.

Added 5kg to all three lifts versus Monday, though I probably lifted a lower tonnage than Monday thanks to fewer warm up sets.

So, what's the right approach in that situation? Write off the day and repeat it next time? Do what you can and stop short of the full program? I doubt I could have hurried through like that without getting hurt if I was lifting much heavier than I am at this early stage.

For that one, don't worry about it. Especially if you went up. Stretch tonight and watch for soreness. Nice job. A lot of people would take the excuse to skip out.

Next time, depends on what you're doing. Rushing squats is never a good idea. Anything else is a matter of recovery between sets. If you can go faster and still hit the sets, that's fine.

I can't say I relished the idea of skipping out. I'm not at the point of excuses yet.

I start on the squats about 10 minutes after arriving at the gym so it'd take something pretty catastrophic to interrupt them.

Stretched... bathed... showered... fed and watered. Just wish I'd got around to getting a foam roller already. On the plus side, after the bath my legs felt better than they did on the way TO the gym... which is good.

Rollers are great.

BTW...make them throw you out of the gym. You'll get a nice core workout fighting their efforts off.

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    BTW...make them throw you out of the gym.
    This is actually pretty good advice. Just tell them that coach said you had to finish this workout, and that you'll lock up on the way out

Some funny images there. Haha. A scrawny guy fighting dirty to stay and lift weights would almost make for a motivational scene.

No chance of locking up as it's a commercial place and I'm the new guy. Maybe if it was a black iron place and I was known... but it's not, and neither am I.

If none minds me hijacking this highly entertaining thread, can I ask what approach one should take assuming the gym closes early and there was no time to finish the routine?
    If it was an A day, would you repeat it instead of the following B or A? Or maybe not repeat at all and continue as if you'd completed?

starting strength coach development program
    I still say F those guys. Most gym employees don't have the nads to force you to leave right away. Finish your workout. At my gym only two guys that work there are man enough to do such a thing and neither one would. Out of respect for a gym rat.

BUT...if one MUST leave the gym early (man up) then I would HAVE to say just do the workout the next day or bump your schedule over and repeat on your next workout day. Don't skip it.