starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cmanuel's General Strength Training Log

Default Cmanuel's General Strength Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting a new log here...clearing out my old competitive lifter log because...well... I dont really see myself being all that competitive haha.

Ok so here is my introduction.

I'm a 25 y/o graduate student. I currently live in Fort Collins Colorado but plan on moving to NC to continue my education either in July or August.

I have been training the right way about 4-5 years now. I dont remember really. I have experience doing Texas Method, Madcow 5x5, 5/3/1 (did this for a long time) and also Sheiko.

I usually train to do Raw powerlifting meets as well as strongman, although I think competitions will be taking a back seat over the next few months due to school consuming my life. Also money is tight and I dont have 90 bucks to drop on a PL meet every 2-3 months. Shit adds up quick!

Anyways I'm currently about 215lbs. I am at the end of a bulk where I got up to 220. I got a little fat and sluggish and so part of my training will focus on correcting this.

Best Gym lifts:
    Squat - 430
    Bench - 300 (paused)
    Strict OH Press - 235
    Push Press - 300 (axle)
    Deadlift - 565 (been stuck at this for a while. grip is limiting factor.

Best Meet showing is 1250@198.

Here is my training layout for the next few months. Its custom, but draws on a lot of ideas from various programs/schools of thoughts.

Week 1
    • Monday - Squats/Bench press - 3x5 across
    • Tuesday - Conditioning
    • Wed - DL (following 5/3/1 progression), OH Press (following 5/3/1 Progression)
    • Thursday - Conditioning
    • Friday - Heavy Squats/bench - ramp up to a top set of 1x5 thats heavier than Mondays workout

Week 2
    • Monday - Squats/bench press - 3x3 across with Week 1 Friday's weight
    • Tuesday - Condition
    • Wed - DL (following 5/3/1), OH Press (following 5/3/1)
    • Thursday - Conditioning
    • Friday - Heavy Squats/Bench - ramp up to a heavy 1x3 set thats heavier than Week 2 mondays workout

Weeks 3 and 4
    • Repeat weeks 1 and 2, however choose a training max heavier. I will play this by feel, but will probably do 10-15lb per Lower movement, and ~5lb for upper movements

Week 5
    DELOAD
    Next Cycle (weeks 6-10
    Repeat cycle but choose a weight that is somewhere between week 1 and week 3s weight.

I will run this as written until things start to stall...Then I will reset a few weeks for lower lifts and will reset and switch bench to OH press focus for upper lifts. I'll basically be rotating between bench and OH press when one or the other stalls

Without further delay, here is my lifting from tonight. Keep in mind I'm coming off a 11 day layoff.

Cycle 1 - Week 1
    Squats (ass to grass, rehband blues and vulkan shorts only
    • 315x5
    • 315x5
    • 315x5

Bench Press (wrist wraps only)
    • 225x5
    • 225x5
    • 225x5

Close grip bench press with Fat Gripz
    • 135x10
    • 155x10
    • 155x10
    • 155x6

Back extension
    • 3x10 with 35lb weight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lifting Comments
    Felt good tonight. The layoff has made weights feel kinda heavy, but everything was definitely manageable tonight. A few weeks of this and I will be back to previous weights in no time.
    BW hovering around 212-215 in the mornings. I am eating better and am going to throw in more conditioning/cardio into my schedule to help shed a bit of fat and make myself more athletic and less sluggish i suppose.

Just a note, instead of using dashes to make a horizontal line you can use the html code which is the word hr surrounded by angled brackets like:
    HTML Code:
    <hr>
    Good luck with your log.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    Just a note, instead of using dashes to make a horizontal line you can use the html code which is the word hr surrounded by angled brackets like:
    HTML Code:
    <hr>
    Good luck with your log.
    Thanks! I was wondering how to do that.

Skipped squats tonight...still having some DOMs thats resulting from my time off. I will start squatting 3x/week beginning next week probably...

DL
    315x5
    365x5
    405x5

Strict OH Press
    130x5
    150x5
    170x5

Chins, wide grip BW
    34 reps spread over 5 sets

Quick and easy tonight. Weights are still quite light. I will consider ramping the weights up higher than normal for transition from week 2 to week 3

rode my bicycle all over town yesterday...not exactly conditioning but it counts for something.

Lifting later today.

Squats
    135x5
    185x5
    210x5
    235x3
    265x3
    300x3
    340x5

Bench Press
    135x5
    155x5
    185x5
    215x3
    245x5

DB Rows with Fat Gripz
    80x10x4 sets

Dips with 40lb weights
    4x10

<hr>
    Good lifting tonight. Squats were kind of hard since I have still experienced DOMs a little bit.. but its going away. Bench felt good too. I think I chose target weights wisely, although I might adjust my ramping scheme for squats as I feel like the weights are kind of condensed.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm glad to see you posting here again. I followed your log here before and a little at WBB, but this is alot easier, haha. You're a strong dude and got some good experience in PL and SM for your age (close to mine, age, not experience).
    I'm suprised your deads stalled, those seemed to be your strongest lift before, still are damn good. Your BW+ presses are really impressive. I've pressed BW a couple times, but have yet to exceed it. Nice work man.
    Last edited by kittenSmash; 03-06-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast