starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting in lifting shoes

Default Deadlifting in lifting shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I tried this for the first time the other day; before that I had always deadlifted in socks. I think I royally messed it up for some reason and I'm assuming it's to do with the heel moving me out forward over the bar.

If this is the reason can someone explain the mechanics behind it.. I think I'll go back to deadlifting barefoot.

Youll get used to it. In the long run it can have a nice effect on technique & quads involvement.

Around here people speak favorably of it because Rip wrote that he pulled his heaviest deadlift in heeled shoes (which of course doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have pulled it without them had he continued lifting in slippers or whatever). but there aren't many powerlifters who do this.

I personally don't buy the "it works because of more quad involvement" argument. You have to consider that people train block deadlifts to make the exercise *harder* and heeled shoes are effectively a subdued version of block deadlifts. So, if the quad involvement is so valuable, at which point does this benefit become outweighed by the difficulty of the increased range of motion? .5? 1"? 2"? Surely, at 2" people would call it a block deadlift.

All that considered, I'm in the minimal footwear camp for deadlifting.

You will most likely have to consciously rock back off your toes in your set up. Set your back and then just shift your body weight backwards.

That said, I hate deadlifting in lifting shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerji View Post
    All that considered, I'm in the minimal footwear camp for deadlifting.
    A block deadlift involves the whole foot being elevated, otherwise known as a deficit deadlift. These are of course harder, because you are pulling a barbell which begins lower.

But you have misunderstood things if you think that a heel on your shoe makes the barbell lower/the lift harder. It only takes a few sessions to get used to lifting in OLY shoes, just like it only takes a few sessions with squats. It can have a very favourable effect on some people (like me) who cannot get into a good pulling position with flat shoes.

But the main thing is, someone squatting in lifting shoes wouldnt want to waste time in taking them off for deads.

I really don't see how it involves quads if the knee would be in the same position, and it should be, or else you'd be squatting the bar.

It makes the deadlift harder in my opinion, which is not a bad thing for training.

I recently started taking my taking my lifting shoes off and deadlifting in socks. I feel like a get a better groove and a more confident pull without the shoes, so that's what I'm going with. In shoes, I feel the bar wanting to drift away from my shins more.

Of course I have to be really sneaky about it so I don't get my head bitten off by gym management.

Been meaning to switch back to Chucks for DLs, but I'm too lazy to bring a second pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    Been meaning to switch back to Chucks for DLs, but I'm too lazy to bring a second pair of shoes.
    you go to the gym in oly shoes?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    you go to the gym in oly shoes?
    No I meant a second pair into the actual weight room, I leave my sneakers in the changeroom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast