starting strength gym

Thread: Custom scheme for next few months

Default Custom scheme for next few months

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just thought i'd share...

I've done some thinking and here is what I am going to run for the next few months. I like 5/3/1 but the progression is kinda slow for me...we will see how this goes

It draws a lot on various programs/ideas. If you are familiar with TM, Madcow, 5/3/1, etc, then you probably will recognize hints of each.

Week 1
    • Monday - Squats/Bench press - 3x5 across
    • Tuesday - Conditioning
    • Wed - DL (following 5/3/1 progression), OH Press (following 5/3/1 Progression)
    • Thursday - Conditioning
    • Friday - Heavy Squats/bench - ramp up to a top set of 1x5 thats heavier than Mondays workout

Week 2
    • Monday - Squats/bench press - 3x3 across with Week 1 Friday's weight
    • Tuesday - Condition
    • Wed - DL (following 5/3/1), OH Press (following 5/3/1)
    • Thursday - Conditioning
    • Friday - Heavy Squats/Bench - ramp up to a heavy 1x3 set thats heavier than Week 2 mondays workout

Weeks 3 and 4
    • Repeat weeks 1 and 2, however choose a training max heavier. I will play this by feel, but will probably do 10-15lb per Lower movement, and ~5lb for upper movements

Week 5
    DELOAD
    Next Cycle (weeks 6-10
    Repeat cycle but choose a weight that is somewhere between week 1 and week 3s weight.

I will run this as written until things start to stall...Then I will reset a few weeks for lower lifts and will reset and switch bench to OH press focus for upper lifts. I'll basically be rotating between bench and OH press when one or the other stalls

I also have a plug n' play spreadsheet for anyone interested
    Cmanuel@clemson.edu

Considered doing your conditioning after you lift, and taking full rest days?

Honestly I haven't given that much thought. Do you have experience combining conditioning/training days?

Thanks for your input

what do you do for conditioning.

I have a prowler that I like to use. I usually mix it up with long trip pushes with lighter weight, or heavy weight short trips

I think you'll be fine with the conditioning as-is as long as you start off light and work your way into the week long workload. Keep the lighter/longer pushes for later in the week.

BTW - Any reason you are looking for another program? IIRC you were running the Jugg Method, were you not? If so, why are you coming off of it?

-Hat

In the Schuler/Cosgrove book, "The New Rules of Lifting," they write that "several University of Wisconsin-Madison studies" have replicated the result that performing conditioning immediately following strength training increases performance in both, while splitting them up was detrimental.

Thank you guys for the input. I will consider doing training/conditioning on both days. However, the convenience of not working out 2hrs/day every other day may be more appealing to me. I will just have to play with both regimens to see what suits me and my lifestyle the best.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    I think you'll be fine with the conditioning as-is as long as you start off light and work your way into the week long workload. Keep the lighter/longer pushes for later in the week.

BTW - Any reason you are looking for another program? IIRC you were running the Jugg Method, were you not? If so, why are you coming off of it?

-Hat
    Juggernaut method is not suited for me right now. I was really struggling with the 10 rep sets...my conditioning is seriously that bad! (lift in the 1-5 rep scheme for over a year without any conditioning at all other than random strongman practices will do that to you)

Dont get me wrong, juggernaut sounds like a great program. But I think you have to have a certain level of athleticism AND a full 16 weeks with no interruptions to devote to the program to really reap the benefits.

I am going to run my custom program for a while and see how it goes. I am going to give Juggernaut another try later.