starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

yet another deadlift form check, if you please. This is from a friend, we both live in France. Some background:
    He's 22, 1m78 (5'10), 79kg (174 lbs). Started Crossfit six months ago, beginning to train strength seriously with a program based on Tsatsouline's power to the people: lots of DL, presses, and some conditioning. By the way, here is a video of him deadlifting 5x72kg (158lbs), first week into his program:

I'm afraid we don't see much of his feet...

Any comment?

Thanks,

Yaums

Yeah.

1. He needs to stop looking in the mirror.
    2. Tell him to stop doing touch and goes. Reset at the bottom each rep. Bad CF habit here. Need to break it. NOW.
    3. His hips are a bit low, and His back is not completely set. When he actually has some real weight on the bar, this is going to be hugely important. Have him reread the section in the book and this thread
    Last edited by Greg C; 03-02-2011 at 05:45 PM.

I agree with Greg c and would like to add to not hyperextend the back at the top. All he needs to do is stand up straight.
    Also, hard to say from the grainy video, but some reps look like his hips move up (change in back angle) before the bar is lifted off the floor rather than lifting the bar with knee extension (quads) while maintaing back angle
    Put some actual weight on the bar...too light

@Greg: OK, no looking in the mirror, no T&G, hips a bit lower and back tighter. I've translated the perfect setup (he doesn't speak much English), and tried to explain the DL chapter of SS, but obviously that is not enough...

@DKStrength: no hyperextension at the top, should have been obvious even for me. For the change in the back angle, it's something he's aware of and actively trying to avoid, even if it's not always successful. And for the weight, he's just beginning his program, and even Rip recommends not starting too light (135lbs if I remember correctly, haven't got the book at work). The actual weight will come soon I think...

Thanks to both of you for your comments, will get back to him.

Since you are right there with him (I assume), some verbal cuing (during setup etc) would be appropriate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Since you are right there with him (I assume), some verbal cuing (during setup etc) would be appropriate.
    Yep, I'd certainly do that if I were there, but unfortunately I'm not. I'm just a kind of internet-only training partner. And translator when needed. And it often is, when you want to train correctly.

Anyway, thanks again.