Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bulls Are Back

Default The Bulls Are Back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Modern Olympic Weightlifting Technique & Training Methods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9Ov...e_gdata_player

i cannot believe that the squats in the end were correct.

also dont know the weights but looks high for the age of the boys. but still it gives me a bad feeling seeing such heavy weight on such young people ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    i cannot believe that the squats in the end were correct.

also dont know the weights but looks high for the age of the boys. but still it gives me a bad feeling seeing such heavy weight on such young people ^^
    Nothing wrong with the squats - they were HB is all. Not atypical for Oly lifters to train these instead. As for the weights, looks like the bigger kids squating at the end are in high school, so while young, and lifting pretty heavy for their age, I don't see anything wrong there.

Hmm they just look kinda high but with this angle and the speed i may be wrong

Aloha Art,

Thank you for your thoughtful concern. The kids you are watching are training to be Olympic Athletes in the sport of Olympic Weightlifting. All the kids play other sports as well. I have been coaching this sport for over 25 years, believe me safety is our main concern. Lifting heavy weights is the nature of the beast. We do high bar squats out of tradition more then anything. It used to be back in the day Olympic Weightlifters were the only ones who did high bar squats. If you saw somebody do high bar squats they were an Olympic Weightlifter. In regards to the depth of the squats you are right, I am a firm believer in squatting as low as you can possibly go. The other coaches and myself are constantly reminding the boys to go lower. Once again thank you for your post and hopefully one day you will see these boys representing the USA at the Olympic Games.

Good stuff Gymmoser! I really enjoy watching these young athletes, keep 'em coming.

Hey Gymmoser,

yeah well u seem to know your stuff so keep on the good work !

I regret somehow to not startet earlier with lifting but at least i found my home now ^^

Default Found A Home

Good for you Art, I am happy for you.

Boy, if you ever figure out how to turn the clock back let me know. I was very fortunate to have Bill Starr as a coach when I was younger ( First met Bill when I was 15). My regret is that I was not a better student, I questioned everything when I should have been doing everything. Looking back on it, it made me a better coach then athlete.

I hope your training is going good. If you ever have any questions about the Olympic lifts. I am always open to give you some suggestions. I am a expert (which means I have made all the mistakes). Good luck to you and keep training hard and getting stronger.

Jim

Thx man u are a rly nice guy!

starting strength coach development program
    I swear to god, Pacific Islanders have some of the best genetics for strength sports. Hawaiians, Fijians, and Samoans can be absolute mastadons and still maintain athletic ability. I attribute it to cannibalism. The big kid has got huge overhead strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast