starting strength gym

Thread: Sore arms after squatting?

Default Sore arms after squatting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,

The squat is getting heavy for me, and after squatting my arms are sore. Not pain, but just muscle soreness as if I did pull ups or bench press. And this hinders my press and bench press, and I failed the press today because of this. I keep my elbows back and high.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

try widening hand placement

You could press/bench before squats. Though if you're deadlifting or cleaning too, it might not be a great idea to do them right after squats. What does your regular program look like?

The book says to widen hand placement, as Shaddix says. Stretching and warming up the shoulders first seems to help a little, too.

I've also had to start doing my press or bench before the squat, as Tescott suggests, for the reasons you've discovered. You should be able to get through your workouts that way and then take some ibuprofen or Aleve. I think it's something you adapt to in time with proper recovery. I've had some pretty nagging pain from it during and after my workouts, though. I'm not out of the woods yet, but the suggestions above have helped make it manageable.

Post a video of your squat and see if anyone sees a problem with your hand/bar placement.

Not sure why I didn't read the book, weird like that ;D Anyway, I'll try wider hand placement, because I want squat first. Thanks!