starting strength gym

Thread: Jerk and shrug questions

Default Jerk and shrug questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip, I have a couple unrelated questions.

1. For someone not interested in competitive Olympic weightlifting, are there compelling reasons to train the jerk? Perhaps sports performance, e.g. basketball or judo? Is it effective as an assistance exercise to other lifts? Might it interfere with other lifts?

2. I just yesterday did shrugs for the first time, after doing high pulls and full cleans for about 9 weeks. I ended up stopping at 315x5 (my deadlift at the moment is 290x5). They felt safe, doable, not particularly crisp and snappy. The traps aren't exquisitely sore today, just a dull ache between the shoulder blades. Question is, what criteria do you use to decide on the training weight? I figure that like the high pull you can use a range of weights if you're not picky about how high you pull it. Also, I have a habit of raising onto my toes from doing high pulls, is this considered a form error in the shrug?

Thank you for your time, very much appreciated.

1. Not really, unless the movement itself interests you. They are rather specialized.

2. What is your bodyweight? I regard them as an intermediate/advanced exercise, and usually reserved for use for actually strong lifters.

I'm 150 lbs, surely light by your standards, but up 20 lbs after a modestly successful novice progression of about 8 months. I'm more or less happy with my weight, and not much interested in blowing it up.

Then I would not recommend an advanced exercise like barbell shrugs for a novice lifter.

Maybe he's 4'2"?

starting strength coach development program
    For someone who isn't interested in competing in the Olympic lifts, I would suggest push presses instead of jerks. The very similar leg drive and you are less likely to miss a push press which means they can be done without bumpers and pissing people off (metal plates make a lot of noise from 6 feet).