starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting - Elbows Back?

Default Squatting - Elbows Back?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In SS and everywhere else, it says to keep elbows down when squatting. However when I do the weight on my work sets, my elbows naturally point out to the back, literally parallel to the floor. I don't think it's causing to me to lean forward and do good mornings and I can't seem to get my elbows to come down, even consciously on the heavier weights.

Are there any cues for bringing them down? Or should I just deload and focus on keeping elbows down? Or is it not actually that much of a problem?

Another issue is that even when my elbows are down, my right elbow seems to come down more than my left one, and I can't 'naturally' get into a symmetrical position. Is this something I should be worried about?

I know you'll ask for videos, but I have no access to camera at the moment.

Thanks.

I thought SS advocates elbows back...

When I say elbow's down I don't mean perpendicular to the floor (says in the book that this will make your arms carry the weight) but that they should be in line with your torso when at your lowest point (at least that's what I remember from the diagrams).

But my elbows are completely horizontal, dunno if that's right or not, never seen any proper form video with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kol View Post
    When I say elbow's down I don't mean perpendicular to the floor (says in the book that this will make your arms carry the weight) but that they should be in line with your torso when at your lowest point (at least that's what I remember from the diagrams).

But my elbows are completely horizontal, dunno if that's right or not, never seen any proper form video with that.
    I seem to recall the book saying to keep your elbows UP. I left my copy of SS in my office so I can't quote it to you. If you're holding your back tight, your chest up, and your hands over the bar, and the bar in the low bar position on your back, there's not a whole lot of variation that is possible in your elbow position, but I don't think "down" is where you want them to go, anyway.

Chech page 21 of SS 2nd edition - proper grip, upper back tight, secure the bar by lifting elbows and chest at the same time.

I just keep my wrist straight and don't over think it.

Ah that's my problem - I can't keep my wrists straight. As hard as I try, I think I lack the flexibility, or the weight is too heavy so I try to intercept the load with my arms as the book says. But it doesn't *feel* that heavy to me...

Ah that's my problem - I can't keep my wrists straight. As hard as I try, I think I lack the flexibility, or the weight is too heavy so I try to intercept the load with my arms as the book says. But it doesn't *feel* that heavy to me...
    Then do some shoulder dislocation exercises. Look it up.

I have real felxibility issues. I tend to end up with my hands almost as wide as the cage allows me to go and a *slightly* higher grip (so, bar closer to my wrists than the base of my fingers) but I make a real point of not cocking my wrists to intercept any of the weight. Even with that grip I'm getting pain in my left arm from the squat.
    I'm not sure that cocked wrists = high elbows, if anything I expect the elbows would drop to get under the bar and take some of the weight.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying "if I can do it, you can" - but I'm leaning in that direction.

If I picked up one thing from the book, it's that if you can't keep your form correct, the weight is too heavy.

Can you keep your elbows where they should be with an empty bar? (You do check your form on the first warm up sets, right?)
    As the weight starts to go up, do you break form at some point before you get to your work sets?
    Also, the magic broomstick I keep by my desk for stretching my shoulders tells me it's very hard to get the elbows high if the bar is in the right spot below the spine of your shoulder blades... where's the bar on your lifts? I struggle to get my elbows that high unless the bar is up around my neck... and that's with a 1kg lump of wood... let alone a 20kg empty bar!

It also tells me that the weekend rest hasn't stopped my arm from hurting... this week is going to hurt. I might need to grow a pair until payday and then drop in on my friendly neighbourhood physio.

starting strength coach development program
    Kol,

I am not sure where you are in terms of the wieght you are squatting, but I would guess not very heavy yet. That's not meant as an insult - just saying that if you are indeed supporting the wieght wth your arms and bent wrists, it can't be very heavy. As you progress with heavier and heavier weight you are setting yourself up for very sore wrists and elbows. Best to fix this now.