starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old guy thinking of starting SS novice program, but...

Default Old guy thinking of starting SS novice program, but...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In short, skinny guy in his early 60s who's half decided to bulk up a bit.
    Right now unweighted squats cause discomfort and 5x3 would be out of the question with or without the bar. He's no cripple - but 30-odd years as a desk-jockey have not left him in good physical shape.

Can anyone suggest a good way to start him off and get him in a condition to do unweighted squats without struggling before he joins me in the gym on SS?

I was going to start him on www.twohundredsquats.com (with proper depth squats rather than partials - something I've spoken to the site author about and he's planning to change the advice) but thought I'd ask here before getting the ball rolling.

Any input appreciated.

He could always get some stronger quads and glutes from leg presses. Even Rip mentioned using that as a means of getting the elderly too weak to squat in one of his articles or books as I recall.

I've had some success with very weak, uncoordinated people starting them with unweighted squats while hanging onto something at roughly waist height. This helps with balance initially.

And get him in the gym ASAP, whatever you make him do there.

I'd start doing free standing deep knee bends and general stretching / flexibility stuff, then light dumbbell deads/squats, giblet squats etc. Once the overall flexibility improves you can start doing heavier dumb bell stuff. You can get a good workout just using DB's.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'll get him on leg presses if I can get him into the gym before he's ready for barbell squats.
    Until then, unweighted squats followed by goblet squats should give him the start he needs. I'd be all for improving his flexibility too but somehow I get the feeling he's not the type to sit and stretch - though that may change once he gets started.

hbriem - would the thing at waist height need to be on both sides like parallel bars, in front or just on one side like the back of a chair?
    That sounds like a good start to ease him into normal unweighted and unsupported ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    ... get him in the gym ASAP, whatever you make him do there.
    Precisely my plan. I'd hoped he'd begin on SS with me when I started it a couple of weeks ago but I knew there was no chance when he showed me an unweighted squat.

He seems to want to do it, I just need to come up with something practical to get him started on - I don't think he'll even entertain the idea of going to the gym for the time being. Will need to get his knees working the way they should first, I think.

hbriem's idea is better than mine about the leg press if he is hesitant about getting into the gym initially without the necessary leg strength. He can hold on to a railing at home to steady himself and even use his upper body to give a little assist and pull to start himself out of the hole if he needs it.

Cheers, Mark.

I'm still open to more suggestions if anyone comes late to the thread and fancies chipping in.

hbriem - would the thing at waist height need to be on both sides like parallel bars, in front or just on one side like the back of a chair?
    That sounds like a good start to ease him into normal unweighted and unsupported ones.
    It needs to be something fixed or heavy so he can hang onto it a bit. A railing, doorknob or one of those otherwise useless machines at the gym. A chair isn't heavy enough.

It's important to use such supported squats to learn the form, knees out, knees tracking toes, lower back in extension, chest out etc.

Great explanation.
    Thanks very much. I'll have to squat my way around the house and find something suitable.

starting strength coach development program
    How about a suspension trainer? Find (or make) a TRX-type device; hang on while squatting. I took one on trips, vacation,etc last year, and loved the workout (great pump). Suspension trainers are very forgiving to the untrained, yet can offer progressive resistance to the very fit as well. You can do most all of the SS movements with a TRX (substitute trx rows and back extensions for deadlifts). This might be a great way to prepare for eventually moving to the bar and iron weights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast