starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a form check

Default I need a form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone. I'd appreciate if someone who knows more than me (almost all of you) could comment on my squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSFQTLw-bw

I've been feeling some pain in my left knee (on the outside and sometimes just beneath than the knee cap) and left hip (maybe the IT band). Because of this I am squatting roughly 75% of my most recent work weight. I don't know if this is the result of poor squat form, over training, or work. I'm a farmer so I find myself squatting body weight, bending, stooping, walking on uneven surfaces, carrying heavy shit, etc. all day long. It could just be a result of all the stuff added together. Also, years of sprint distance cycling have left my flexibility in bad condition, especially my hamstrings.

I just recently began eating enough to actually gain weight. I'm up 10lbs in the last few weeks. Prior to that I only gained 5lbs in about 2 months. I've been lifting for roughly 3 months. 5'9", 162lbs, 24 years old. Work weights: squat 200lbs, bench 150 lbs, dl 275.

Do you guys see any form errors that explain my knee/hip problem on the left side? Any other form errors I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Hard to say exactly from the angle/lightening but I'm fairly certain you aren't pushing your knees out. The lack of knees going out causes impingement at the ASIS, this in turn causes your low back to round (not good) and hamstrings to shorten ( most likely the causes of your knee and hip pain along with knees not getting out). So you need to push the knees out and keep a big, wide, up chest to keep the back in extension. Also fix your grip so that the meat of your palm is on top of the bar and not under or behind it.

Well they look fine to me, no glaring form errors jump out. I would suggest thinking about making sure your lumbar arch is locked in place about halfway down so that it stays in a good position when you reach the bottom. About pain in your knee or hip, you'll have to learn to pay close attention to your body. You'll be able to train through certain aches without aggravating it. Other times you'll tweak something and may want to go easy for a few weeks. If you ever feel like there's just too much weight on the bar for you to perform the lift correctly and safely, don't hesitate to take some weight off.

I agree with DK that his knees are caving some. I had to watch his right leg very closely to make me think that though. OP might want to post a front angle to resolve this question.

Thanks everyone. I'll post a video of my squat from a front angle after my workout tomorrow. I'll make a point to keep my knees out.

Ok, my knees have been caving in.

I tried 205 today and failed pretty miserably on the first set. I have been sick for a few days so I probably should have stayed light for another workout. Clearly my knees weren't the only thing wrong with this set. I think I swear at the end so this may be NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMGJePPqS4#t=0m20s

I backed off to 175 so I could get a better look at my form. Knees caving in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKNvGnaqE4#t=0m18s

On the second set of 175 I tried to think about keeping my knees out the whole time. At this point I'm feeling tired and sickly and I'm probably thinking too much. It was awkward and my knees still caved in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZz2dbwx8OI#t=0m18s

To top it off its now very clear to me that my grip sucks. I've started using shoulder dislocations to improve my flexibility.

If you guys see anything that I don't please let me know. I'll start reading up on keeping my knees out.

Yep knees and grip from the front angle and better lumbar extension from the side angle video. You may want to try to angle your feet out more and see how that works for your knees (I can't see you where your foot angle is, so just a suggestion). Good luck and keep up the hard work and don't let those chickens talk shit to you (heard them in the first front video talking a big game)

Angling your feet out more might just exacerbate the problem. Judging by your first video, your feet are angled out to a significant degree, but your knees are not staying out and and in line with the feet - your knees are moving more forward than out and therefore are not lined up with your feet. This is bad for the knees and hips. If I can use lines here to show, your feet are \ / but your knees are | |. So together, viewed from a bird's eye view, you look like \| |/ when you should look like \ / with everything in line. Hopefully that is not too confusing. My advice is to try actually narrowing your stance just a touch and straightening your feet out just a touch. That way your knees will be over your feet. And of course continue to use the cue "knees out!"

Thanks guys. Ill take a break from the linear progression until I can keep my knees out and lumbar extended with lighter weights. I'll be sure to try widening/narrowing my stance too. I guess its best to fix my form before the weights get heavier and I get my bad habits even more ingrained.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, deload the weight until you feel comfortable with it and really focus on keeping everything in line. If your joints are complaining, something is probably out of alignment. If your joints feel good but new muscles are burning during your sets, this is good. It should only take a handful of workouts forcing your body to keep everything in correct position before those previously-weak muscles will be strong enough to return to linear progression. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast