starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox's SS log

Default Fox's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    32yo, 6' 3", 278lbs, endo/mesomorph body type.

This will be my second go around with SS. The first time was a little over a year ago when I started at about 305lbs, dropped to 275lbs in about 2 months and then back up to 300lbs within 4 months. I wasn’t watching my diet then and ate a ton of junk food, but I was making solid gains. For someone who had really never lifted weights on a regular basis, I was deadlifting and squatting 300lbs within 6 months of training. I think I could have done more, but that’s all the weight I have at my disposal. Press was around 155lbs, bench was 205 but my chest has always been a week point for me. I understand these numbers aren’t completely impressive for someone of my stature, but the 300lb DL and squat was an awesome feeling.

I’m watching my diet this time. I’ve shed 20lbs since the beginning of the year. If it doesn’t come from the ground or an animal, I don’t eat it. Drinking a lot of water and a couple of glasses of milk each day. That’s pretty much my SS story. I’ll fill in my workout log from this week below. The weights might be a little low, but I’m easing into it to get my form back and prevent injuries. I’ll jump them up some if it feels ridiculously light.

3/6/11
    Session 1

Squat – 3x5 160lbs, felt a little light
    Bench press – 3x5 110lbs
    Deadlift – 1x5 175lbs, felt like I could have done another set easy

3/7/11
    Took my kids for a walk, about a mile

3/8/11
    Session 2

Squat – 3x5 165lbs
    Press – 3x5 75lbs
    Power clean – 5x3 80lbs
    Everything felt good, probably could bump up the cleans a little
    Last edited by bbfoxjr; 03-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.

3/10/11
    Session 3

Squat 3x5 170lbs, no problem, might bump it to 180lbs next work out
    Bench 3x5 115lbs, same as above
    DL 200lbs 1x5, felt stupid easy, threw 250lbs on there and knocked out 3 more reps

Observations: I need a power cage and more plates.

It sounds like we came from the same starting point.

when i started in december i weighted in at around 320. i'm still around that weight but its distributed a bit differently. i havent really changed my diet too much, ive been focusing on getting big gains in my lifts, which have exploded in 2 months time. at this point i think certain lifts might be near plateau (my oh press and my clean). - see my lift log https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CIno6KYB

i do need to change my diet to begin to see the significant loss of body fat that i want to see.

what is your diet like, an average breakfast lunch dinner snacks etc?

I'm following a pretty simple diet right now. Basically if it doesn't come from the ground or a an animal, I don't eat it. I've been doing just that since the new year and have lost 20lbs. I'll eat sausage or bacon and some fruit or breakfast, meat and veggies for lunch, same for dinner. For snacks, I keep some fruit and homemade beef jerky around and also some unsalted nuts.

3/13/11
    Session 4

Squat- 3x5 175lbs, decided not to bump these, I know they are going to get real heavy real quick
    Press - 3x5 85lbs, bumped these a little, felt good
    PC - 5x3 105lbs, gave these a good bump because during Session 2, I felt like I was going to throw them straight through the roof

No more bumps other than prescribed. I think I've got the weights worked out fairly well after doing WO A and WO B twice.

Had a friend workout with me today. He's a smaller guy 5' 8" 155lbs. Doesn't squat because he says it hurts his knees, never heard of the PC. He wants to get big and strong, but does 10x10, light weights and only upper body except for some leg curls. I'm going to try and get him to give SS a try for a couple of months.

3/14/11
    Took my kids for a walk, about a mile

3/15/11
    Session 5

Squat - 3x5 180lbs
    Bench - 3x5 120lbs
    DL - 1x5 220lbs

Everything felt good. I might have tweeked my right quad on the 2nd set of squats. Worked through it on the 3rd set and then stretched it real good before DLs.

My friend worked out with me again tonight. I helped him with some form issues and he did well. He likes the program and is going to continue to come over on WO days.

3/17/11
    Session 6

Squat - 3x5 185lbs
    Press - 3x5 90lbs
    PC - 5x3 110lbs

Everything felt fine tonight. I had a slight pain in my right quad last WO after the 2nd set of squats. Warmed up and stretched extra good tonight and had no pain at all. I also picked up a pair of 45lb plates from dude on Craigslist today.

My friend couldn't make it tonight, his son had a baseball game.
    Last edited by bbfoxjr; 03-17-2011 at 08:51 PM.

3/20/11
    Session 7

Squat - 3x5 190lbs
    Bench - 3x5 130lbs
    DL - 1x5 230lbs

I had no desire to WO today but I made myself go to the garage and start stretching and warming up. Once I did, I was ready to go. Knocked out all my sets and everything felt great. I'm tempted to bump up the weight on a couple of lifts, but I'll be patient.

Wow, that was a late workout. Daughter had a 6pm tee ball game, ate dinner, got home at 9, in the garage at 10, just finished at a little past 11. On to the lifts:

3/21/11
    Took the kids for a walk, about a mile.

3/22/11
    Session 8

Squat - 3x5 195lbs, cake walk
    Press - 3x5 95lbs, knocked it out
    PC - 5x3 115lbs, no worries there
    Plank - 1x60 seconds
    Right Plank - 1x30 seconds
    Left Plank - 1x30 seconds

Did the planks just for fun. I really like them. Not a bad workout considering I got a late start. Looking forward to Thursday, 200 on the squat and 240 on the DL, which is my favorite lift.

starting strength coach development program
    3/24/11
    Session 9

Squats - 3x5 200lbs, felt good to get to 200
    Bench - 3x5 135lbs, I've had this funny pinching feeling in my left shoulder for a few days. It affected my bench tonight a little, but completed the sets with no other problems
    DL - 1x5 240lbs, my favorite lift, crushed it

Will probably miss 2 WO's next week due to travel for work. Hoping there's a decent gym at the hotel so I can at least do some lifting of some sort.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast