starting strength gym

Thread: WFAC Starting Strength Seminar recap

Default WFAC Starting Strength Seminar recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We kicked off our 2011 home season with the WFAC Starting Strength Seminar last weekend and it didn’t disappoint. We had a very interesting mix from long time competitive power lifters who are very familiar with Starting Strength to those who are brand new to the lifting styles we teach. Although it’s common for folks to come in with their “version” of what they perceive a proper back squat should feel like after reading the book or watching the DVD, there are always various tweaks to bring the lifter to more efficient lifting. However in this case, some in the group were brand new to the methodology and watching their progress throughout the weekend was a great visual on how easily this can be taught and learned in a very proficient manner.

I know I’ve said it before but it’s always great to have forum contributors attend the seminars. Putting faces with sign- on names, learning their backgrounds and training practices is always interesting. For those of you out there who were here, thanks so much for coming and your contributions to the site.

Thanks to all of you for coming out and the hard work you put in this weekend lifting AND coaching. Keep an eye out for another seminar coming your way or take advantage of our Starting Strength training camps around the nation put on my our regular seminar staff. And since I’m here and so are you, if you have a mom or wife or gf who could use an inexpensive day in the gym; send them over to the Ladies Strength and Conditioning camp in April (shameless plug for my training camp.)

jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had an absolute blast! Thanks to Rip, and the entire staff for helping out all weekend. The level of information provided was world class and the coaching from everyone was top notch. I've been to a handful of these sorts of "certification" seminars, and this one was, without a doubt, the most thorough by a mile.

Also, everyone who attended was really cool, which is what I always find when I meet "darksiders" such as myself.

We're gonna change the world with this stuff...we just have to do it one person at a time.

Matt

And ps...that Polynesian Minnesoooota accent still gets me. Love it!

Heh heh...all part of the Starting Strength charm. It was great having you there Matt. We all appreciated your insights and experiences, thanks for coming down.

jp

Accent?

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

This was an awesome experience. A week ago I had a basic understanding what I needed to do to perform the lifts. Now after the seminar not only do I know those lifts better for myself and my body type, but I actually have an understanding of how the lifts work. Sure I read the books beforehand so I had a general idea. But I never sat down and really made myself think about what was going on before. This seminar made me do exactly that. It was as thorough mentally as it was physically.

It was a great mix of friendly, funny, and focused people. It's not in the cards for me to open a gym, be a full time coach, etc. But it was invaluable to me so that I can help with my wife and kids as they grow up. And by a completely random event I found a coworker who has looked into Starting Strength. We are building a software system and were testing out storage mechanisms on the server. He shared his desktop with me as he uploaded a file and happened to pick a "how to squat" pdf. Of course I brought up the seminar and then we set a time to work out. Go figure. When we worked out I could see where he was off kilter and immediately give him cues to correct it. Three is no way that I would have been able to help him out as much beforehand. Simply understanding the anatomy, mechanics, and cues to correct made a huge impact.

So thanks to all of the coaches and guys and gals who attended. It's been a huge motivator for me to get my butt back under the bar!

I'm trying to see if I can get my wife and teenage daughter back down for the Ladies class on the 9th. Not sure if we can do it because of a girl scouts thing we had planned. We would have to leave early (like right after the deadlift) so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

PS – Matt I ordered a pair of weightlifting shoes.

Michael

Thanks Michael, is was great having you here! You did a great job and I'm so glad you've already been able to put your knowledge to good use. I'd love to have your daughter and wife here for the camp. Due to their discounted rate of an already inexpensive day in the gym, I'd say it'd be more than worth their time to come down. Plus we could spend time during lunch going over useful and efficient conditioning for them. Hope to see them here.

Keep us posted on your progress!

jp

starting strength coach development program
    Well it looks like April the 9th is shot for us. Girl Scouts at night and my boy's first T-Ball game during the day. We (I) were really trying to make it up there but Life just said it ain't gonna happen. Hopefully another one will come around soon!

Till then I started a log on here, nothing like the public eye to keep you on your toes! Thanks again for taking me on such short notice, it was the best trip I've taken so far this year!