starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've done SS for a week (started at 30kg, moved to 35, 40 and 42.5). These videos show the two last working sets at 42.5kg. I probably could add more weight, but would like to see if I'm doing something horribly wrong first. I think the camera angles, height and the distance away from the squats is satisfactory, if not please tell me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAS6AGRiwMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLR6yONEbU
    Thanks for any and all answers

On both videos, the last 2 reps, especially the last rep, look the best. Don't divebomb into the bottom, you'll eventually injure yourself doing that.

Noted. Go slower.

Knees coming forward terribly at the bottom.

And get shoes

Hello again,

Some new sets, the last two of today's squats, presses and cleans. Due to the power rack being unavailable, I had a bit of a struggle finding a proper place to place the camera. I apologize the two videos' unsatisfactory angle and placement.
    Also, never mind the funny facial expressions. :\

2nd working set, 57.5kg:

3rd working set, 57.5kg:

Thoughts: Still descend too fast. I think there is no forward movement of the knees to talk about, but I could be imagining things.

Thanks for any and all comments

Speed is fine, but theres two things:

1) Stop initiating the lift with your knees - the first thing to move should be the hips. Instead of just squatting down. Think about either pushing your hips back and than down or sitting back into a chair.

2) Your not pushing your knees out to the side enough (this can also be the cause of the "butt wink"/posterior tilt). Once you begin your descent by sitting back, think about and actively pushing your knees out to the side. In the bottom position the path of your knees should follow the path of your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post

1) Stop initiating the lift with your knees - the first thing to move should be the hips. Instead of just squatting down. Think about either pushing your hips back and than down or sitting back into a chair.

2) Your not pushing your knees out to the side enough (this can also be the cause of the "butt wink"/posterior tilt). Once you begin your descent by sitting back, think about and actively pushing your knees out to the side. In the bottom position the path of your knees should follow the path of your feet.
    I disagree with breaking at the hips first.

It's far better to break at the hips and knees at the same time, or you may eventually over exaggerate the 'sit-back' and have a horrible squat.

The new squats look pretty good. You're a bit too deep, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post

Disagree on both.

Break at the knees/hips at the same time.

Looks like his knees are ok, but it's hard to tell in the vid.

I'll get some better vids on sunday where I try to go just below parallel and push knees out harder. Thanks for the replies!

Any pointers as to how I get further back on the hips/sit back more, since that also was an area needing some work? May-be self-explanatory, but I feel like it'd cause me to end up on my ass.

starting strength coach development program
    That's easy - don't do it. Listen, your form is good, your hip position is fine, if you make adjustments, you're just going to fuck up the good thing you have here. If there is a pointer you might think about, it's this, always be aware of your back position at all points of the squat, you (should) know what it feels like when your lumbar muscles are contracted, and also when they begin to lose their contraction; if your depth (which is a good inch or two below parallel) is causing your lumbars to lose their contraction, cut off your depth a little bit when you feel that happening. Your speed is okay for now since it's not really a challenging weight for you. Once it really gets heavy, you'll find out on your own that it's better to go slower. If you ever hurt yourself due to going too fast, that'll really make it sink in. But until then, it's okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast