starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Cleans with Iron Weights

Default Power Cleans with Iron Weights

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm not sure if this has been covered but is it possible to do power cleans with iron weights? I'd imagine that rubber weights are better since they can be dropped without any damage and they're all the same diameter. I know for a fact that my gym isn't going to be happy about me doing power cleans but hopefully they won't say anything.

It will be a little while until I'm doing 135 lbs on the power clean and thus using 45s to get the bar to the correct starting height. When using 25s or 35s, should I raise the bar up a bit on boxes or just pull from the floor regardless?

Thanks

Hi,

I use iron weights when doing the Clean.
    After the rack, I rotate my elbows back and catch the bar on my lap/thighs.
    Then, I lower it as if it was a deadlift.
    Hopefulyl this will be acceptable in your gym.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been covered but is it possible to do power cleans with iron weights?
    No. You will probably die if you try. Nobody every power cleaned in the history of weightlifting until bumper plates came along. Thank you for asking, and remember to always get permission from the internets before you try anything for yourself in the gym.

But if you want to try it anyway, IPB's advice will get you there.

I do the same thing as my man IPB with iron weights at Celli's and never once has Ryan hollared at me for it. Although my PC is so fucking weaksauce it's really practically retarded to think I could do any harm with them anyway ROFLMAO

"I do the same thing as my man IPB with iron weights at Celli's and never once has Ryan hollared at me for it"

GD,

You know this is abit disingenious. Celli's gym is a powerlifting gym for serious powerlifters, not a globo. You could rape a goat as your predead lift routine and I don;t think he would say anything.

i just drop it to a hang position then lower it like a deadlift. but im still a hair under 200 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    i just drop it to a hang position then lower it like a deadlift. but im still a hair under 200 lbs
    Me as well, although my PC is weak as hell. Actually most everyone I've seen doing PC's do this - even if they do have bumpers. The advantage of bumpers, I feel, is knowing that you CAN drop the bar if something goes awry, without causing a mess.

Raise the bar on boxes until you use the 45's. I use iron plates in my gym (which is a Globo) and it hasn't been an issue. If they'll allow deadlifts, they'll usually allow Power Cleans as well.

Bumpers werent invented until the 80's I guess, since in Starrs books the pictures of snatches, cleans and all that stuff is with iron plates. So while bumpers are nice (I learnt with bumpers, and it's awesome) they aren't a necessity.
    Last edited by DV; 03-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.

I can understand a fear of full squat cleans with iron plates because of the heavier weight and shorter ROM but since power cleans are lighter and the bar is pulled higher there is more time to catch a missed rep and the weight itself will be easier to control. Doing power cleans I've made a few mistakes like smashing the bar into my gut or nuts because of bad form but was still able to control the bar and not drop it.

The only mistake that ever caused me to drop the bar was not caring because the weight was light, so I don't think I squeezed hard enough. When the second pull happened the bar got some momentum but spun out of my hands and went flying away before crashing to the floor. This can be easily avoided by paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    Bumpers werent invented until the 80's I guess, since in Starrs books the pictures of snatches, cleans and all that stuff is with iron plates.
    By the way, isn't that picture in SS p.148 of Starr pressing 350 awesome (and inspiring)?

starting strength coach development program
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...g_weights.html

Interesting article on the topic of dropping cleans...

BTW, according to the author, bumpers were invented sometime during the 1960s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast