starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat video - please check my form

Default Squat video - please check my form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QQIItdmUhg

This is the first video I've posted for a form check. Be gentle. Honest, but gentle.

They don't look bad. You have a lot more room to get deeper though. Keep your back a little more upright, get your butt down into the hole. You might practice getting down into a squat position without the bar to convince yourself that you're able to get that deep. The bar could be maybe a centimeter lower on your back. Keep your neck in a neutral position and resist the temptation to look at yourself in the mirror.

They are not horrible but you can definitely correct a few things, the main one being depth and back angle seems a little too horizontal. Focus on depth first, Mike's advice is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSaraT View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QQIItdmUhg

This is the first video I've posted for a form check. Be gentle. Honest, but gentle.
    They are not looking too bad. It may not be easy for you to hit the correct depth, because maybe your hamstrings and inner thighs are not strong enough yet. If you look at the bar path (reps 3,4,5), you will see that the bar is in front of your toes when you're at the bottom. Try to prevent your knees going forward by absolutely tightening your back as much as possible. I do not see you tightening your back when you inhale before starting a rep. Try to feel your hamstrings getting tighter and tighter when you approach the bottom. This is a necessity to be able to hit the bottom without letting the knees (and the bar) go forward too much.
    Another thing I see: just before you hit the lowest point, you're rear stays at the same height but your upper back is still descending. So you loose your upper back tightness at the bottom. Especially on rep 1 and 3 the bar even rolls forward, out of the specific low bar spot on your shoulders (that you have found correctly).

Try to get these things right with the empty bar and post a video again, so we can see if you were able to fix your biggest mistakes.

Talking

On reps 1 and 2, you're out of synch. To move up in the ranks of synchronized squatting, you'll need to ensure that the unrack is synched with your partner, not just the last 3 reps and the re-rack at the end.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it totally helps.

@mrRed - LOL :-D -- this is the first day I've ever seen both racks being used at once. In fact, I had to wait for another dude to finish before I could get in that rack. Get this though - I walked up to him "excuse me - are you using this rack?" (it wasn't clear). him: "yeah, I'm going to do calves for about 10 minutes then you can have it". He was holding onto the side of the rack doing calf raises on a nike step. For. 10. Minutes.

Omg time to facepalm.

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

I think you can have the bar farther down on your back. The mirror is distracting you a lot more than you think it might be. Really focus on keeping your neck neutral and eye gaze down (try looking at the line where the floor and wall meet). Shove your knees out harder than you think you can, and that should help you get some more depth. And, the hardest part, try not to think about all of this when your squatting. Rack the bar and squat like you mean it!

Here's a recheck with the empty bar. The bar path seems to be coming forward a little more than I think it should... right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZsRUex1xs

Default what is the deal with my head?!

starting strength coach development program
    It's a little better, but I am surprised to see it still coming up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast