starting strength gym

Thread: Elbows not fast enough.

Default Elbows not fast enough.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I can't seem to rack the bar in the clean on my shoulders,I keep catching it on my wrists and then kinda wiggling it to the correct position.
    How ever I try I can't seem to shoot my elbows fast enough (I even tried the Dan John trick of squeezing the but),but It did not help.
    And the bar doesn't sit well on my shoulders(I'm 6ft 235/240 lbs),if I move it further back ,my throat is in the way,and if I move it to the front it just slides off.

So,can you help,is there a drill or something that can address that issue?

I did search the page:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=15033&page=1
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=6936&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by AriSuper View Post
    I can't seem to rack the bar in the clean on my shoulders,I keep catching it on my wrists and then kinda wiggling it to the correct position.
    How ever I try I can't seem to shoot my elbows fast enough (I even tried the Dan John trick of squeezing the but),but It did not help.
    And the bar doesn't sit well on my shoulders(I'm 6ft 235/240 lbs),if I move it further back ,my throat is in the way,and if I move it to the front it just slides off.

So,can you help,is there a drill or something that can address that issue?

I did search the page:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=15033&page=1
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=6936&page=1
    Video please.

There are people who don't have the flexibility to get a good front rack. But, I don't know that until I see it.

Certain arm dimensions may also make it more difficult for certain people to achieve a working rack position. Before worrying about racking the bar in a clean, you have to know first that you're actually able to get into that position, so some videos of you doing front squats with your best rack would be good to see for this. If the problem is that you're too slow in rotating your elbows under, you'll have to pull the bar harder, so that it goes higher and you have more time to get under it. Sounds stupid, but "pull harder" is personally one of my most useful cues.

first off thanks for the replies,as for the video ,well thats gonna be tough,I'll try the pull harder tip.Does that mean I have to explode more with my body at the jumping stage?

Yes, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by AriSuper View Post
    first off thanks for the replies,as for the video ,well thats gonna be tough,I'll try the pull harder tip.Does that mean I have to explode more with my body at the jumping stage?
    For me, I always wind up pulling hard enough when I focus on stomping with my feet. Not sure why, but it works.

I tried it,It fucking works ,even pulled my new best today 120kg!All I can say thank you very much!

starting strength coach development program
    Good stuff. Tbone suggested the same thing to me and that fixed my pull. I believe the cue was "fast fucking elbows". I also added a drill in my warm up, where I set up a stretch band across the rack and practice the racking movement by hitting it with my elbows (I didn't try hitting the empty bar....seemed kinda annoying). Helps me get the feel for it.