starting strength gym

Thread: I wanna sign up for a raw PLing meet...

Default I wanna sign up for a raw PLing meet...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    ...but I have no idea how to find one in or around the Houston area. Can anyone point me to a couple of federations that are drug free that I could compete in?

You don't have to find a drug free one, you can compete in an untested meet, even if you're clean. Try powerliftingwatch.com

Seems like I found more just using Google...does the USAPL have a raw event? Haven't really seen anything on their site.

I'm not sure if things differ by state, but I did a USAPL meet in MD last year. They had raw and geared lifters compete together, but just ranked the lifters separately.

Are NASA events worth a damn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Hendrix View Post
    ...but I have no idea how to find one in or around the Houston area. Can anyone point me to a couple of federations that are drug free that I could compete in?
    Good luck, man. How's your cold?

Still kicking my ass, gonna do a light session today with 275 and see how I feel.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Hendrix View Post
    Are NASA events worth a damn?
    Andy Baker (KSC on this forum) competes in NASA events and is, IIRC, in teh Houston area. He seems to like them. The impression I get, compared to other federations, is that they're mostly fun and supposed to be drug-free, usually have raw competitors, probably good for a beginner to go to.

But, yeah, just look on PLWatch (somebody else provided a link) and poke around their listings. If you're worried about competing as a first-time lifter, most meets have a phone number or e-mail to contact the organizer so you could call and ask. They're probably be able to tell you whether you'd be a good fit. I mean, I presume most are pretty friendly, but you might feel out of place if you're a raw lifter maxing out at 405# when everybody else is in multi-ply and opening with 700+.