starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not so sissie bench race to 2 plates / 225lbs / 100kg

Default Not so sissie bench race to 2 plates / 225lbs / 100kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello fellow ex-sissies,

not being a sissie anymore doesn't make you a man! You're in between and therefore need to train more! Let's race to a 2 plates / 225lbs / 100kg bench starting strength style, i.e. 3x5.

I just finished my first set of bodyweight bench presses at 86kgx3x5.

3 - 2 - 1 - GO!

I'm being very silly with my training lately, and have decided to spend a little time focusing on putting as much weight overhead as possible. I'm overhead pressing one day, behind the neck push pressing another, and incline benching the third. I'm currently behind the neck push pressing around 75 kg. I'd like to get two plates overhead at some point. I'm in, but with plates overhead, and with the aim of doing it by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    I'm being very silly with my training lately, and have decided to spend a little time focusing on putting as much weight overhead as possible. I'm overhead pressing one day, behind the neck push pressing another, and incline benching the third. I'm currently behind the neck push pressing around 75 kg. I'd like to get two plates overhead at some point. I'm in, but with plates overhead, and with the aim of doing it by the end of the year.
    Does jerking count?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    Does jerking count?
    My behind the neck push presses are supposed to be behind the neck jerks, but I haven't really gotten the hang of the dipping under the bar part yet. I suppose the first time I put two plates aside overhead, it will be via a behind the neck jerk.

yo, I can try to keep up with you guys.

Current bench sucks : 176x5x3

I am stuck now at 176 for some reason no idea why while my other lifts are going good, I think i will have to remove 5 or 10 lbs and reset it. I think my technique is correct, Shoulder blades on bench a bit of arch above the ass and feet on the ground. I read somewhere on the forum that there is something about lifting the elbows in parallel that can fix that stall.

Btw, I do dips not on the same day of the bench press, Can this have an effect ? I thought that if I work my chest every other day it will assist me in lifting my bench press.

Let's help each others in breaking plateaus.

Gluck all

Quote Originally Posted by Antz View Post
    yo, I can try to keep up with you guys.

Current bench sucks : 176x5x3

I am stuck now at 176 for some reason no idea why while my other lifts are going good, I think i will have to remove 5 or 10 lbs and reset it. I think my technique is correct, Shoulder blades on bench a bit of arch above the ass and feet on the ground. I read somewhere on the forum that there is something about lifting the elbows in parallel that can fix that stall.

Btw, I do dips not on the same day of the bench press, Can this have an effect ? I thought that if I work my chest every other day it will assist me in lifting my bench press.

Let's help each others in breaking plateaus.

Gluck all
    I don't do dips and I didn't get stuck at 176. Whether there is a correlation I don't know. In SS and PPST there are no dips in the novice programs.

I'm happy to get in on this action. Friday I did 3 x 5 x 185.

my goal is not to just get to 225 but to blow right by it. was at 240 as a 1RM prior to my back injury, now i'm back at 3 x 5 x 205 and am ready for either 210 or 215 tomorrow. good luck to all.

I might be in for 225x5x5 since I'm on TM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey I will jump in!

yesterday's benching with GS/LP

200x2x5, 7

I know I can bench 225 for an easy double. And my 1RM is somewhere in the 240-250 department.

And this is all close grip benching with my grip a thumbs length away from the center smooth part of the bar.
    Last edited by Patrick Stroup; 03-31-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast