starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench ISO's?

Default Bench ISO's?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wanted to start programming them in, but I forgot what days I should do them. During bench days or off?

Anyways this is what I got setup today and did 135# 3x10s or so. I did them after my bench and accessory work so anything heavier felt like I was moving a mountain.

I start about 6 inches above my chesticles. What do you think?

how much do you bench, how much do you weight, are you still a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    how much do you bench, how much do you weight, are you still a novice?
    Both In the 2 bill range. I hit 245 a couple of weeks ago. But I did this as a finisher. I had a long workout and wanted to get it in.

I figured 6 inches or so above my chest was a good spot.

I would do it near your sticking point. If that is near six inches, then six inches is good

yeah, i figured that. one week i blast 225x5x3 then one week I fail at a rep.

What days should I program it. Bench or non bench days? Ive read both

also started 1 arm pressing. because my press progress is...

Last edited by sedition; 03-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.

It isn't really a question of "bench day" or "non-bench" day. Isometrics should be on your heavy bench day. If you're still doing SS, you don't need Iso's, they are for more advanced trainees. This was either explained in Starr's article or by Rip in the discussion that resulted from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    It isn't really a question of "bench day" or "non-bench" day. Isometrics should be on your heavy bench day. If you're still doing SS, you don't need Iso's, they are for more advanced trainees. This was either explained in Starr's article or by Rip in the discussion that resulted from the article.
    I dont believe they're only for advanced lifters. seems absurd. anyone can benefit from working on their sticking points.

Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    I dont believe they're only for advanced lifters. seems absurd. anyone can benefit from working on their sticking points.
    Rip is of the opinion that isometrics are for advanced lifters, as in "after intermediate" advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Rip is of the opinion that isometrics are for advanced lifters, as in "after intermediate" advanced.
    Yeah, when I was about 190 ish I couldnt break 19 pull ups. I worked on them 3x a week sprinkled in a variety of ISO's and broke 26 a couple of times. im sure hardwork and caffeine helped, but working on the low and high sticking points seemed like a +

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Yeah, when I was about 190 ish I couldnt break 19 pull ups. I worked on them 3x a week sprinkled in a variety of ISO's and broke 26 a couple of times. im sure hardwork and caffeine helped, but working on the low and high sticking points seemed like a +
    That's a whole lot of pullups. My hat's off to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast