starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bounce at the bottom of the press

Default Bounce at the bottom of the press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As the press got heavier , I intuitively incorporated a stretch reflex (that might be excessive) at the bottom. It can make a bunch of difference when I do it right , the bar just flies up. But I just feel like I am not training the bottom portion of the press , as I am using that rebound to make it easier.
    It is covered in SS that a touch-and-go bench press is better than a paused bench press for sport performance , but a press actually starts with the concentric part which does not benefit of any bounce (I can feel that the first rep is considerably harder than the others).
    Do you use that stretch reflex when training the press ?

I basically press the same as you do.
    However , I'd like to know which of paused overhead presses and touch-and-go overhead presses is more efficient for strength gains.
    By the logic , the shoulders are the main movers at the bottom , by using momentum the shoulders don't have to exert as intense a force as they would have to in a paused overhead press and are therefore not trained as efficiently.

Do you pause at the bottom of your bench? Squat?

And fwiw, I only learned to breath at the top of the press recently.

I don't , but I don't really understand why.

In my opinion, which could be utterly incorrect, using the bounce reflex in the press isn't any different than in the bench press or squat. You will continue to get stronger using it, maybe even more so.

As long as the bounce isn't excessive (i.e. smacking your body hard enough to hurt), then it's to be encouraged.

Wow, can't believe this is the first time this has been discussed on these boards. Maybe Rip should put a discussion about this in the next edition of SS.

I'd like to believe you but that feeling of neglecting the bottom portion just can't be shaken.
    I am going to reformulate my reasoning using basic notions in mechanics (my native language is not english , especially that I don't know technical words , let me know if there are any misunderstandings)
    When we lift weights , our goal is to beat gravity.
    Let's take the example of a 100KG press.
    When we unrack the barbell , two forces are applied:
    -P(vector) which is a downward force. its intensity P = mg = 980N
    -F(vector) which is an upward force applied by our arms. since the barbell is motionless P(vector)+F(vector) =0(vector) => F=P=980N

1st set of 1 rep (done without any momentum , let's assume it is successful and with correct form)

Since the bar is moving upward , and the angle made by the forearm and the barbell is overall 90° F>P (our muscles HAVE to apply a force greater than 980N)

2nd set of 1 rep (done with momentum (we'll call it F' (vector)), let's assume it is successful and with correct form)
    We only consider here the bottom portion where F' doesn't considerably decrease.
    Since the forces have roughly the same directions , with F' vector and F vector upwards and P' vector (the new weight which is let's say 4KG heavier so P' = 1019N) downwards.
    As the bar is moving upwards F'+F>P' => F>P'-F'
    Our muscles need to apply a force greater than P'-F' to move the weight up.
    Now I don't have a clue about F' but it's probably much greater than 40N , in this case F would be less than 980N (less than the first case) and hence our muscles have exerted less force , and were trained less intensely.

It is well known that the push press doesn't train the shoulders sufficiently , what's the difference between using legs and using momentum in terms of facilitating the bottom portion (except the degree).
    Last edited by exter; 03-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post
    I'd like to believe you but that feeling of neglecting the bottom portion just can't be shaken.
    When you get advanced enough, you can do press starts if it's that big of a deal. I probably wouldn't worry about them until you're into an intermediate stage.

Also, you're way overthinking this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast