starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys, hoping to get a form check on my most recent workout. Was lifting #297 3x5, and felt it was time to see what I needed to fix. I'm 22, 6'3 and weigh #227.

My observations at least:
    - I need to look down more (damn mirror makes that hard though). My last few reps were definitely treading into 'Goodmorning' territory.
    - More depth? (I feel if I go much lower ill lose my balance)
    - Weight more over the middle of the foot?

All three sets are in the one video.

I appreciate your input/ tips.
    Last edited by Demo; 03-28-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Added extra information

The biggest problem is your depth and that you haven't found the correct bottom position. Before getting to that, you need to fix your bar, wrist, and neck positions. The bar is about 2cm too high. Straighten your wrists - the bar is 'gripped' at the base of the palm, almost at the wrist, NOT in the fingers. Neutral neck position, which will mean your eyegaze will be at an angle downward. Looking at your reflection in the mirror when squatting is a bad habit anyway.

About your depth, you may have to take off about 40 lbs temporarily to fix this. Your shins will have to be a little more vertical (just a little), with your knees more over your toes than in front of your toes in the bottom position. Hips go back a little more. Keep everything in your back and torso TIGHT - you seem to be doing a good job with that in the video, so keep doing that.

Thanks MikeC1. I believe that both my bar placement and depth issues are linked totally to my mobility/flexibility.

My fingers tend to hold the bar because my shoulders are not flexible enough to let the bar down and rest on my wrist; in fact, after my sets my shoulders tend to be often quite sore, despite warming up with dowel dislocates, stretches, etc... I imagine that once I let the bar down the 2cm it might be easier to keep the weight centred as well. The neck position, well yeah, it's shitty. That's something I really need to work on. I totally wish the squat rack wasn't facing a mirror, as I think it might throw me off the first time I squat without it.

As for the depth, I believe it's linked to me having extremely tight hips (psoas?). My first warmup sets are brutal and it feels like the hip is being 'pinched' when I get to the bottom, which tends to shift the weight forwards. I physically don't feel like I can go lower on work sets because I feel like i'm going to fall over...probably because I can't stick my ass out any farther due to flexiblity. I guess I have to really hit the area with the foam roller more than I already do. I'm also doing yoga a few times a week, so hopefully that helps me.

In terms of deloading the #40 and working on depth, how would you approach that? Do I simply go back to 260 and start my linear progression again from there?

What do your warmup sets look like? A good warm up is usually enough to get everything warm and stretched out. I doubt that flexibility is the limiting factor for you. Judging from your description and watching your video again, I'd also suggest widening your stance. Rip wrote an article a while ago that is probably relevant for you: http://startingstrength.com/articles...2_rippetoe.pdf
    Regarding reducing the weight, you want to use a weight that's light enough to allow you to get into a deep below parallel position and then squat it back up easily. The muscles that are responsible for keeping you stable and balanced in the bottom position need to have a chance to strengthen. This might be more than 40 lbs less, in fact if I were you, I'd start by getting in some extra practice sets at 135. You can work back up using bigger jumps than you initially used, the important thing is that you continue squatting correctly each time. So if you find that the weight is forcing you to compromise your form, back the weight up to where you could do it correctly.

Generally my warmup is as follows (for the video weight):

1x5 w/ bar
    2x5 #135 - these sets are where I work out the 'pinch' I get in my psoas.
    1x5 #180
    1x5 #230
    1x3 #280
    (as well as some dynamic stretches in between sets)

Interesting article. I will try with the stance wider. Next time I go to the gym, on my light day, ill check out my form with my old stance and see if the depth issue was just one of those days where things dont gel - as well, with the same weight and the tips in mind ill record again on friday and see if it's any different. If it's still shitty form then I'll probably drop down to around #150 or so and add #10 per workout after that. Pretty discouraging to drop the weight so much but it's obviously best to do it properly.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, in hopes of not spamming the technique forum with threads, ill put my new form video on here.

Do I need to get much deeper than this? I've decided on dropping back significantly to around #200 and work back up with good depth. I realize that i'm still looking up a bit during the sets, but im working on breaking that ingrained habit. Comments welcome.