starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSBB vs Woojus Geeshman (from PPST2), dynamic effort days

Default WSBB vs Woojus Geeshman (from PPST2), dynamic effort days

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a couple of questions about setting up dynamic effort days. I haven't read PPST2 cover to cover, but I have cherry picked some of the more interesting chapters. Rip talks about DE lifting too, saying that it could be a good thing. I know the Westside method (or those similar to it) uses it too. I haven't tried it in the past, so I figured it might be worth a shot to see how it works.

In PPST2, the Woojus Geeshman template has the DE and ME lifts mixed together when you lift. So Monday would have ME Bench, and DE Overhead Press. Squats work the same way, they are ME, while deadlifts are DE (or you could do powercleans too). Basically you workout out 4 days per week and alternate upper/lower body.

WSBB breaks the days apart. You have 2 ME days, and 2 DE days. Nothing is mixed together. This template also runs 4 days per week, and has a split similar to PPST2.

Here are my first impressions looking at both. I like PPST2, since I can still DL every week. WSBB does a squat movement every week, and sometimes it is a DL, or a goodmorning etc. Since I am more of a novice, I like getting to do normal squats and dl's every week.

The WSBB program looks like it might be easier to recover from since you only have 1 bench and 1 squat type ME movement every week. Weejus has 4 ME days (squat, bench, ohp, dl), and 4 DE days (same kinds of lifts). This could be harder to recover from. Weejus' ME day is more like 8x3 vs WSBB is a true "max" day. So maybe Weejus' won't be too bad after all. Not sure.

So what is the better way to go, mix the ME/DE stuff or leave it on separate days?

*I will not be changing my ME lifts, and I will keep with the method I have been using already (4-8 sets of 1's or 3's). I am really just adding in some extra DE work to see if it helps out.

Woojus

Thanks.

I mix hard and fast sets. For example i start with heavy benches followed by speed close grip benches. Heavy squats followed by some type of speed squats etc. Sometimes if i feel tired and not recovered i do all exercises fast. And sometimes i do it several training days in a row. Actually deadlifts i do almost always easy and fast and it seems to work i pulled 225 kg in a meet. I have necessary equipment for speed work available in a gym where i train - chains bands etc.

If mixing is better than doing ME/DE in different days i do not know, but currently i like this way.

you're going to get a lot of different answers about this. None of them are right, especially mine, so I'm going to add to the confusion by posting this anyway.

Personally I like having one DE day becuase it goes so QUICK if you do it westside style. This is good when the wife guilts me about working out.

I also like having a volume day of 8*3s (a la TM) instead of a ME day.

If you're intermediate, this covers volume day and intensity day, you just have a light day for whatever you want.
    If you're novice the middle day should be a normal strength day (if that's your goal...).

I forgot that I replied to this. Fuck, I was in an ambien daze when I did. I think that's why I only said Woojus. Sorry. I'd be more than happy to provide reasons. Or extra considerations. But you seem to have most of it thought out. We can chop it up and examine it though.

I thought that was quick....even for you.

I had a hard enough time reading it. The words were jumping all around. No one can perform like that.

Heh, I think I was out of it too when I wrote it. I've had no problem recovering thus far mixing the ME/DE together. I am doing up to 8 sets of 1's or 3's for ME and I'm doing the DE Westside style. It has actually made my gym days a little shorter, which is kind of nice. I only take 45 secs to a 1 min between DE sets. I have it all layed out in my log if you are interested in seeing what I decided to do.

I'm still pretty much of novice, but some of my lifts are starting to slow down. I haven't had to deload yet, but I think I will have to pretty soon, or switch to 3's for a while. Do you guys think I should deload on the 1's, and continue towards my first goals, or just go down to 80% 1RM and hit 3's? My first bench goal was 315, and I am damn close. I might just say fuck it and go for it tomorrow, just 1 set. Otherwise I will be doing 300 8x1. The sets are getting harder, but I want to hit that first goal! My squats are still going well on LP, and I would say DL's are somewhere in the middle.

starting strength coach development program
    You seem to be going about it smartly.

As far as deloading it depends on what is giving you more trouble. Sometimes the 3s can get too high to keep repping higher weights and you need a break. Sometimes its the ability to grind out a single that is tougher. The 3s might prove easier to maintain though. If so your deload should center around keeping them a priority. That's where you are getting the most work done. Your singles can be reset without much drop off if you manitain solid 3 work. You may not need a deload if you take a rest week. It all depends on what you're feeling when you fail sets.

If you can do that much with 300 then try for 315. Even if you don't hit it you can still work with 300 after. But you should be able to get it done. Or at least get a solid idea of what you need to be able to complete it. Goals are why we do this stuff. Conquer that shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast