starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do powerlifters focus on aesthetics at all?

Default Do powerlifters focus on aesthetics at all?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Or is it just get bigger and stronger and to hell with looks.

I'm just wondering because when you watch them lift, train, live their life etc, they seem to pay little attention to body fat and more to overall size.

What do you guys think?

About 90% of powerlifters compete in weight classes under SHW and pay close attention to their weight and body fat.

As a Super heavyweight I can tell you none of us give a fuck, I'm 370lb and 50% bodyfat, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    About 90% of powerlifters compete in weight classes under SHW and pay close attention to their weight and body fat.
    This. Before developing an opinion, it's useful to have facts. Good facts. Good facts that you can't get from just browsing for the loudest thing on the internets. I train at a powerlifting gym. There are some powerlifters that are a little "fluffy", but most that I see have concerns about fitting in their weight class. Some of them look like they could step onto a bodybuilding stage with a few weeks' prep.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    This. Before developing an opinion, it's useful to have facts. Good facts. Good facts that you can't get from just browsing for the loudest thing on the internets. I train at a powerlifting gym. There are some powerlifters that are a little "fluffy", but most that I see have concerns about fitting in their weight class. Some of them look like they could step onto a bodybuilding stage with a few weeks' prep.
    Ryan Celli is like that. In fact, he's the one who inspired me to try to cut some of the fat... He hovers around 210, but when he does meets he's around 185/190.

PL's don't focus on aesthetics for the most part, but it does happen as a result of their training. The SHW, not so much because they are often too damn "fluffy" to have that look, but if you look at the lower weight classes, and up to the 275's, and in some cases 308's, you will see some of them are built well.

The main lift is done with the goal of getting stronger and more explosive, the accessory work is usually done bodybuilder-style, 8-12 reps per set with the goal of increasing size and strength to assist the main lift. They don't follow a split like BB'ers do, so its often looking something like this (consider a WSBB-type template)

ME upper
    back
    shoulders
    triceps

ME lower
    quad movement
    hamstrings/lower back
    abs

DE Upper/DE Lower follow a similar theme with DE Lower often having a pulling movement involved in some way for many

The accessory work, being higher volume and shorter rests than the main lift, serve the purpose of getting the assistance groups larger, many PL'ers also do bicep work.

Read the WSBB book of methods for a general idea of this and see what Louie advocates in the accessory work, short rests, not training to failure and training days should be short, hard and effective... many of them also do multiple mini-workouts during the week to bring up weaker areas.

They don't train for looks, but in many looks will happen as a result of the training.

Hopefully that helps.

Yes that cleared things up thanks.

Few powerlifters in my gym not only look like bodybuilders but they have actually done bodybuilding competitions and won their classes.

Marotta, are you really 370?
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-01-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: reply fail

starting strength coach development program
    Hahaha no, I'm 195 @ 5'6".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast