starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete newb with a starting weight question

Default Complete newb with a starting weight question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Disclaimer: Chances are very good that this sort of question has been asked before, and that my Google-Fu is as weak as my deadlift. If this is the case, please feel free to mock and belittle me as appropriate.

I'm just beginning Starting Strength, as I am tired of being a scrawny little half-man who can't even squat 3 plates for reps. In the past, I've screwed around with completely ineffective bodybuilding exercises, and had a brief fling with a local CrossFit gym that lasted long enough to get me strict pullups and dips, but not much longer, since the strength gains stopped. In my misguided wanderings through the field of training, I even stumbled upon the Wendler 5/3/1 and tried it for a bit before realizing it's really for intermediate/advanced folks, not for pathetic weaklings. It's been a couple months since I've done much of anything.

My current stats are: Male, age 34, 6'0" / 182 - 183 cm, approximately 200 lbs. / 90.7 kg., history of severe undereating since I used to drop $20 per meal at Taco Bell and never gain an ounce, bodyfat percentage somewhere between "sedentary narcoleptic narwhal" and "hyperactive vole on meth".

Current diet plan is utter fanatical devotion to the paleo diet, to the point that the only slight, tiny, completely insignificant deviation from it I will consider is a gallon of milk a day. Preferably slathered in my homemade bacon-sausage gravy, like just about everything else I eat.

When I did the two initial sessions to figure out what my weights are for Starting Strength, I hit the following weights for one set each unless otherwise noted...

Squat - 155 lbs / 70 kg x 5 with a slight wobble of my left knee inwards on the very last rep.

Bench - 145 lbs / 66 kg x 5, with my scapulas getting sick of being retracted and wanting to let my shoulders come forward on the final rep.

Deadlift - 205 lbs / 93 kg x 5, slight rounding of the lower back on the last rep or two.

Press - 85 lbs / 39 kg x 5 x 3, with a weird issue where my weight wanted to come forward onto my toes for a couple reps in the middle (guessing that was from the bar being too far forward, so I shrugged it up harder and it seemed to go away).

Power Clean - Utterly abysmal lack of anything even remotely resembling "coordination" in the loosest sense of the term. Fortunately, there were no casualties from my wild flailing and staggering about. Still just using the bar until I figure something out.

So, my question is twofold...

1.) Do I use these weights while DTP, or should I back them off a little bit before I start?

2.) Given my apparent propensity for train-wrecking the power clean, should I consider substituting something else in its place (at least while I'm just flailing around with the empty bar), or should I just suck it up and learn it as best I can without subbing in something I can do actual weight with?

Any assistance appreciated, no matter how snarky or condescending.

You're using almost the exact same weights that I was, when I started. You should be fine with those, if you have a pair of relatively-good sized testicles and you eat as much meat as you allude.

Consider lacto-fermented oats, to eat with breakfast on the morning of training days. You will need those carbs once shit starts getting heavy, trust me.

Other wise, sally forth, and start with those weights if you want to.

I'll answer #2. Just learn the damn power clean. Even if it's not perfect, it's better than not doing them. Post some videos in technique and we'll try to sort you out

Quote Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
    Consider lacto-fermented oats, to eat with breakfast on the morning of training days. You will need those carbs once shit starts getting heavy, trust me.
    Or, you know...he could eat sweet potatoes

Where are you? SIdenote, why do people put their location? It's hard to get you a coach (I wrote "couch" first) if we don'tknow where you are.

You form doesn't sound great on anything, but you seem aware of the problems. Keep them in mind and try to do better each time you go in. Use your warms up as practice for the work sets.

And learn the damn power clean. Send in a video if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by reneelee View Post
    Or, you know...he could eat sweet potatoes
    There's only one sweet potato that I'm interested in eating right now.

Jamie -- I'll give you a bottle of Patron if you help me with my power clean in-person. It's time I got it un-stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
    There's only one sweet potato that I'm interested in eating right now.
    ...i don't actually know what you're implying...but I'm pretty sure I should be offended. lol

"I should be offended"
    First time for everything

GD,

I'm not a fan of patron except for the anjeo and it's very pricey. Sauza blanco will do fine, DOn julio blanco if you are feeling saucy.

starting strength coach development program
    Where are you? SIdenote, why do people put their location? It's hard to get you a coach (I wrote "couch" first) if we don'tknow where you are.

You form doesn't sound great on anything, but you seem aware of the problems. Keep them in mind and try to do better each time you go in. Use your warms up as practice for the work sets.

And learn the damn power clean. Send in a video if you want.
    I'm in Cincinnati. Not exactly a reknowned mecca of lifting expertise, but if there's knowledge around to be had, I'm all for it.

Also, I'm not planning on giving up the power clean. I was just wondering if I should add something in on power clean days while I'm working with just the bar. I'll take the responses thus far as a "no, just learn it already, dumbass." Noted. I'll get a video or two up as soon as possible - should be this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast