starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When training pays off

Default When training pays off

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I lifted at Masters Nationals yesterday. I was originally supposed to lift at 10:30 am with an 8:30 am weigh in, but they changed the schedule at the Technical Meeting. So, I was lifting at 4:30 pm with a 2:30 pm weigh in, which just made me freak out because I had restricted food and water on Thursday after 1:00 pm thinking that I had a morning weigh in.

Fortunately, I was coached by the most amazing and awesome Caleb Ward. Since he's kind of done this a few times before, he managed to keep me sane about weigh in and lifting and life yesterday. I made weight without a problem after eating both breakfast and lunch.

So, I lifted in the 69 kg weight class and 35-39 age group.

I went 6 for 6, bitches.

I opened conservatively as planned because I really wanted a 102 total to qualify for Masters Worlds, and I had no idea how my jerk was going to feel since I have only jerked twice in the last 6 weeks. So, no PRs, but I also jerked more than I have been able to jerk since February 13.

Snatch:
    45 kg
    47 kg
    50 kg

C&J:
    52 kg
    57 kg
    60 kg

110 total. I only needed 102 for Worlds. I took the silver medal in my age/weight. The gold medal was won by Suzanne Leathers-McCauley who was an alternate on the U.S. Olympic team and who proceeded to break every national record at the meet yesterday. So, I am okay taking second place to her, haha.

My next meet will probably be the Masters Pan Ams in July. Some of my teammates are doing a May meet, but I think I really need to chill and take some time to get a hell of a lot stronger in the next 8 weeks. I'm just going to lift and eat and not worry about bodyweight...just like some of you skinny fuckers need to do.

Thanks for all of the support, guys.

Congratulations, T. Well done.

Now to settle down to some hard training for July.

Awesome job! And nice controlled weight selection: get what you need, THEN have some fun. What are your PRs? Looks like Cyprus is in the 70s in Oct/Nov... darn you!

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Congratulations, T. Well done.

Now to settle down to some hard training for July.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRod View Post
    Awesome job! And nice controlled weight selection: get what you need, THEN have some fun. What are your PRs? Looks like Cyprus is in the 70s in Oct/Nov... darn you!
    Thanks!

Yeah, I think Caleb did not want me to open so low, but he also knows that I am a bit of a mental case, so he was fine with me opening with what made me comfortable. After the 52 jerk, he was like, "Um, yeah, you're going to at least 57 now." I considered going for more than 60 on my third attempt, but since I've only jerked twice in 6 weeks, I knew I would end the day totally happy going 6 for 6 with a 60 jerk.

My snatch PR is 53, and my jerk PR is 65. Both are very much limited by technique more than by strength at this point. Because I can clean at least 72, haha. I will say that yesterday was probably my prettiest day of snatching ever. Caleb even said so, and he knows that I normally look like a totally different lifter on my snatches compared to my cleans. And, my first two jerks were totally solid. I don't even have to think about cleaning 60 kg, so that wasn't an issue.

Is Caleb based in Miami?

Congrats on the competition and silver medal!

...I went 6 for 6, bitches.
    Sweet snatch (ya gotta like Oly comments). Nice job at the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    Is Caleb based in Miami?

Congrats on the competition and silver medal!
    No, he was in Wichita Falls and then Cal Strength with Glenn and then spent several months at the Olympic Training Center at the end of last year. He just moved to Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Sweet snatch (ya gotta like Oly comments). Nice job at the comp.
    I know. It doesn't get old, haha. Thanks!

rock star

starting strength coach development program
    Very nice work! <golf clap>

Definitely not being a flea in a jar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast