starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check please.

Default Squat check please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am aware that these are HB squats but would appreciate any comments that will help me progress.

Thanks

I only do HB squat. Here are the problems I see.

1.) Grip the bar, thumbs around it. The Rip style of thumbs over top is for low bar, not high bar. Its really hard to keep the bar in the right position without the thumbs aound.

2.) Look slightly up. Do not look at yourself in the mirror.

3.) This is most important, you need to think of your upper body as a piston. You break at the knees and immediately as you begin to descend, you tighten your back hard and keep it as much in the vertical plane as possible. It looks like your lower back is losing some tightness.

Watch this video of Chinese oly-lifters squatting, this is the form you should be looking to emulate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jxTc2ITA8

Thanks for the feedback Willus.

I've decided to read the set-up pages in SSBBT again and reset my squats. Looking at my video, it also appears that I do not sit back enough; therefore I am inclined to do that forward dive each rep. I will post more video when I think I am close to squared away with my form.

I can't seem to find a gym without mirrors in front of the rack. It's like a moth to the flame for me; I can't help trying to check my form in the mirror as I do the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrol1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Willus.

I've decided to read the set-up pages in SSBBT again and reset my squats. Looking at my video, it also appears that I do not sit back enough; therefore I am inclined to do that forward dive each rep. I will post more video when I think I am close to squared away with my form.

I can't seem to find a gym without mirrors in front of the rack. It's like a moth to the flame for me; I can't help trying to check my form in the mirror as I do the squat.
    The squat chapter in the book actually concerns the low bar squat.

Any reason why you decided to go with HB Back Squat instead of LB? I'm not critisizing you because HB Back Squat are great just asking.

I want to do the low bar squat. That has been my intention the whole time. When I comment that "I am aware that these are HB squats", it was not because they were intended to be, it was in anticipation of the feedback. Either way, HB or LB, my weights are stalled way lower than they should be. My ultimate goal is to get a nice LB form and start adding some weight. If, because of poor flexibility that doesn't happen, then I will try the same weight gains with a HB. Thanks for the feedback.

do shoulders dislocations everyday , you will probably be able to LB squat in a week or two .

Looks like a good stretch, thanks.

to me it looks like you are bullying the weight. by that i mean that your definately strong enough to lift the weight, but with slightly bad form. your upper back rounds when you come out of the hole. are you using shoes that have a higher heel? bc it looks like your knees come forward way too much. other than that, i dont see anything wrong.

hope this helps..

starting strength coach development program
    So I did a major reset. I started out by first adjusting the bar set-up. I believe that it's where it needs to be now. Then I fixed the grip. The meat of my palm now rests on top of the bar, with my thumbs hanging out on the top side as well. Most importantly, my wrists are now straight as an arrow and my elbows are up and back (relative to my flexibility) and no longer supporting the bar. So I filmed today's work set (185 reset) and I'm still moving forward, not as bad, but it is still happening.

Next workout I will focus on the lower body position. I think my set up is close, but my lack of flexibility is hurting my form. It still looks like I am "bullying" the weight.