Thread: Icarus's Log

Default Icarus's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: 245 lb. x 5 x 3
    Bench: 145 lb. x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 245 lb. x 5 x 3

First time back in the gym in the week due to having to hand in literature review for thesis. Sleep and diet quality has been bad and my body was not ready to be in the gym today.

Squat: Had do take a 30 sec. pause on my first set, completed the rest of my sets straight through. This 10 lb. jump was definitely hard for me and it felt like I was doing good mornings on the last reps of each set.

Bench: Had to pause on first set, needed spot on last rep in set 2, and spot on 2 reps on last set.

Deadlift: Pause between each rep.

Overall my body felt weird today. Starting with the squats my heart rate was up throughout my entire workout, even with taking 7 minute breaks between all sets on all exercises.

Bought some Valerian today, melatonin makes me wake up in the middle of the night for some reason. Back to eating clean after eating too much fast food, I think this will set my body back on track.

Dinner is shepherd's pie, pork chop, half bag of spinach, yogurt with blueberries and milk.

I really like your log's name, I gotta say.

What are your goals with this whole ordeal? What do you hope to gain?

Thanks, just trying to keep it simple.

I've lifted in the past but screwed up by working out too much, eating too little, and/or not getting enough rest. That and school often led to burnout.

My goal this time around is to get all of my diet/rest/training variables dialed in and not let life get in the way of lifting. Slow and steady gains, non-stop. Specific goals are more vague, but I'll know I'll be well on my way if I can...

Bench: 175 (bodyweight)
    Press: 135
    Squat: 300

From a personal perspective, I've always had an image of what I want to be like as a self-actualized man and looking like a Greek statue is part of it. I guess that puts me more on the bodybuilding/aesthetic side of things, but what can I say. I think your body speaks to people subconsciously and can help someone wanting to go far in this world.

Squat: 250x5x3
    Press: 107.5x4, 105x2, 95x2, 95x5, Deload to failure
    Powerclean: 135x5x3

Squat: I revisited my squat PR this time. It was still challenging but much better than last time when I was doing a lot of good morning motion. I had a small breakthrough in terms of doing the squat, instead of focusing my eyes on an object I imagine the bar moving in a plumb line perpendicular to my midfoot. This has helped me from leaning too far forward and getting more bounce.

Press: I have the most problems with this exercise by far. I was not able to progress this time. I was frustrated so I worked it to failure while deloading, knowing that I would have 5 days until my next press. I need to make sure I eat and rest plenty during the time in between.

Powerclean: This exercise felt alright, but I know my form is off. I reminded myself to extend my feet when I jumped. I posted form videos here before but never got a response. Would appreciate it if anybody could give my a critique.

Squat: 255x5x3

Hit a PR for the squat today. It was definitely challenging, on the last rep of my last set I was coming up so slow that somebody ran behind me into mounting position. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put on another 5 lbs. on Wednesday. I also narrowed my grip this time as I've begun having trouble keeping the bar from rolling down my back. This has helped a little but the muscles holding up the bar were definitely not happy.

Bench: 145x5x3

Hit my sticking point again. First set was a struggle to complete so I asked for a spot on the second set. Second set felt surprisingly good but my spotter came in prematurely (no pun intended) and lifted my last rep. He saw me holding my breath for my reps and spouted some bro-science at me. Apparently holding your breath makes you choke, needless to say I didn't ask him for another spot. I only completed four reps on the last set, racked the bar for half a minute, then squeezed out the last rep. The weight paused for a good 5 seconds on the way up before I managed to recruit all the muscle to rack.

Deadlift: 255x5

Does it count as cheating if I take a half-minute rest between each set? I simply did not have it in me to do them back to back, I felt dizzy after each rep. It might be time to begin alternate grip, or at least get some chalk.

My body felt exhausted after the gym today, my time in the gym now lasts about 1:35. Fitday tells me that I consumed 3,300 calories today with 177 grams of protein. I weigh 5.3 lbs. heavier than I did this morning.
    Last edited by Icarus; 04-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Does it count as cheating if I take a half-minute rest between each set? I simply did not have it in me to do them back to back, I felt dizzy after each rep. It might be time to begin alternate grip, or at least get some chalk.
    I think you mean between each rep? It depends if you want to do singles or a set. I wouldn't overthink it, but if you let go of the bar between sets (as I sometimes do) it's definitely singles. Just get the set done, I think (If I remember correcty) Rip said that if you have correct starting position, you shouldn't be able to breath that well, and you are better off just doing the set. (If you are interested, you probably can find the Q&A with search) Feeling dizzy is good, keep doing that. I started to use mixed grip after I failed at 115 kg for 2 workouts. But seriously: GET SOME CHALK! makes a huge difference if your hands sweat as mine do. (ALOT)

Oops, correct. I meant between each rep. Got some chalk!

Squat: 260x5,4,3

An old man named Walter came up to me after my first set and told me that I was the only person in the gym that he's seen get the correct squat depth, guess he was a lifter back in his day! He also noticed the low bar position and we talked a bit about lever arms. I failed todays squat but I actually felt pretty good about it afterwards. On the last rep of my second set the bar began to roll down real low on my shoulders, I thought I would just bare with it but there wasn't enough support under it as I was coming out of the hole. In an effort to get that last rep, I took of the weights in a rush and powercleaned 135, put back the weights and went for a single rep. However, right after I did that power clean my lower back was tight as hell and it left me weakened for the rest of my squats. This would've been a squat PR for me. I'm absolutely confident I can complete the workout this Friday.

Press: 107.5x5x2, 3

I felt surprisingly good again for a failed workout. I was able to complete 2 sets this time, compared to my last press workout where I couldn't complete one. If I keep up my diet and rest I think I'll be able to nail the workout next week. After failing my last set, I deloaded 5 lbs. at a time to failure.

Powerclean: 135x5x3

I used to round 10kg plates up to 25 lbs. so this was my first true 135 lb. powerclean. Some of the form was a little off, but I'm starting to get a better feel for all the movements in the power clean. I've been reminding myself to extend the ankles, use traps, and bar the weight on my shoulders instead of slamming it into my chest. I read in a technique thread that form of the powerclean will have to improve as weight increases and I notice this in myself.

All in all, I feel good despite completing all my workouts. Started eating late today so it will be a challenge to get all my requirements before the days end. I do feel that upping my caloric intake has been helping my workouts and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I do feel that upping my caloric intake has been helping my workouts and recovery.
    +1. 3300 kcal isn't all that great for we skinny dudes. It looked like your bodyweight was falling and your upper-body lifts were grinding to a halt. You must stay ahead of me on that spreadsheet, or I may be forced to talk smack. Nobody likes it when I do that, lol.

Damn you skinny boys and your strong lifts!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TroglodyteInTraining View Post
    You must stay ahead of me on that spreadsheet, or I may be forced to talk smack. Nobody likes it when I do that, lol.
    And that is the purpose of the spreadsheet . Your bench and press are too close for comfort, esp. if you maintain the momentum you've had in the last two weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast