starting strength gym

Thread: programming discrepancy from the text

Default programming discrepancy from the text

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach Rip. I've read SS once and glossed it again, but I've managed to confuse myself in regards to the programming. It seems that what is written in the text for programming on page 289 conflicts with the sample program I see written on pg 300/301.

On page 289, you suggest squatting every day, then alternating benchpress with press for days A and B, and deadlifts with powercleans for days A and B. That implies (as you say), that one week I would have two A days so that I deadlift twice, and one B day so that I powerclean once, then the next week I would reverse, powercleaning twice and deadlifting once, then again repeating.

However, with the sample that I see written on page 300-301, it has alternating deadlifts and powercleans on day A. Then for day B it's back extensions and chinups. I am confused by this, because if I alternate between two exercises on my A day, I will end up doing each of those two exercises only *one time* per week (on the week where A appears twice) but I only do *one* of the exercises in all of the next week since A appears only once.

In short....if I go by page 289 of the book, on any given workout where I deadlift (or powerclean) I will do it again on my 2nd second workout *after* that. But if I go by page 300-301 of the book, on any given workout where I deadlift (or powerclean) I will do it again on my 4th workout *after* that.

Could you please clarify this for me. I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything on it. Thanks so much.

cheath, the basic program is the one on page 289. If you are a rank novice, then that's the one you should be working with. Chinups and back extensions are assistance exercises. If you'll reread the chapter on assistance exercises, you'll see that you won't need any of them until about the time you are an advanced novice / intermediate lifter. The setup you see on page 300 has the chins and back extensions cycling in with the deadlift and power clean on an ABC rotation, because when you reach that point, deadlifting heavy twice a week is too frequent to recover from. Among other reasons.