• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey
    I decreased my weights in order to start the SS program for example:
    Squat- 185 > 95, increasing 10lbs per workout
    Bench- 145 > 100, increasing 5 lbs per workout
    Deadlift- 225 > 120, increasing 15 lbs per workout
    Press- 85> 65, increasing 5 lb per workout
    I planned ahead and I'm supposed to reach my former weight capacities in 4-6 weeks, but will pushing it down that much make me weaker? Or will it end up being better and enable me to linearly progress longer?

(I've been increasing my bench 5 lbs per workout for my first week of SS. In your book it says young men can increase it 10 lbs in the beginning, but i wanted to stick with 5 to get as much linear progression as possible, comments on this?)

How long have you been on the program, how much do you weigh, how has your weight changed since the beginning, how are you eating, how difficult are the above numbers for you, did you reduce the weights because you were missing reps?

I've been on the program one week.
    I weigh 152, 5'9"- i gained 2 lbs this past week so im working on the weight! I'm eating a lottt, about to start GOMAD too
    The numbers are pretty easy
    I've been doing a split routine for like half a year and i wanted to do SS, so i reduced the numbers because on the wiki it said i should plan it so that i reach my former weights around weeks 4-6 for more longevity of the program

The wikia is shit.

Well it looks like you're off to a good start. If you really are eating to gain 2 lbs a week, then you can afford to be more aggressive with your loading. They should all start off easy but not a walk in the park, and give you plenty of head room to add weight. If that's the case, you can probably expect to make 10 lb jumps on the deadlift for at least 2-3 months, 10 lb jumps on squat for maybe a month. Bench and press should definitely start with 5 lb jumps and you should be prepared (i.e. start looking around for appropriate accessories) to switch to 2.5 lb jumps within the first month or two.

You're smart to want to start lighter and make smaller jumps, because it will definitely extend your linear progress and will let you reach higher numbers than you would be able to reach otherwise. On each exercise, once the weights become challenging, make the appropriate switch. Squats and deadlifts will ultimately be using 5 lb jumps. You should be able to tell when this is appropriate - when you're not sure you'll be able to complete the next workout with another 10 lb jump (or 5 lb for bench/press).

Hope that helps. Why not keep a log on the site so we can see how you're doing over time?

haha thanks!
    I'm dying to increase the weights really fast but im fighting to be patientt
    And i am doing a log= http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=23028

Your squat goal of 250 by the end of May is likely overly optimistic. If you can get that by the end of summer, or even by the end of the year, you're doing all right. The other ones will be much easier to reach.

The goal of 250 is pretty optimistic, but it may not take as long as the end of summer. I'm 5'10" and started at 158 lbs. I've been doing SS for 6 weeks. I started my squat at 105 and just did 245 tonight. Granted I have a job that requires pretty strong legs, so I was able to progress at 10lbs for quite a while.

Is 250 squat optimistic? I thought it would be reachable, considering that I'm going gain weight from stuffing myself haha.
    But I'm going to push myself and see what happens.
    How far do you think I will go until I stall?? (For the 5 exercises)

starting strength coach development program
    If the weights are easy and you just want to stick with what you are doing, lift them real fast (explosive). That will give you more of a workout as you are moving up towards your old maxes. Don't go crazy, but having good bar speed will help when things get heavier.

Good luck on the SS routine... I'm sure you will be a beast in no time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast