starting strength gym

Thread: A Fun Squat Form Check

Default A Fun Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark (and forum), looks like you've seen a bunch of these posts on the forum. My videos are linked below, 3 sets of 5 reps each.

For context:
    I started SS a couple months back, with a max working weight of 245. More experienced SS aficionados at my gym said my form looked pretty good. But I got sick and it hasn't felt natural since then.

I'm 6'2, ~160 pounds. I eat a lot.

Some concerns I have already:
    -My hips lean to one side, especially at the bottom of the squat. From what I've read here, the best fix is a 'knees out' cue (assuming I have the same size legs)
    -My lower back (here) rounds. I try to keep my chest up, and that arches my upper back. But I don't know a good cue for keeping my lower back arched.
    -Depth. I'm not at parallel
    -Stance. I have smaller shoulders and longer femurs, so I think I need a wider stance than here.
    -Eyeballs--not always looking in a "natural" position. Thinking back, I think I had a better eye position before.
    -Knees come forward

Let me know if you agree, if anything else seems to be wrong, and if you have any good cues or solutions.

Video:
    Thanks!

Well to begin with, you are not going deep enough and this is very clear. No beating around the bush, just go fix it (you would be wise to lower weight significantly).

Watch Rips recent video about low back control, tells you everything you need to know about creating and maitaining lumbar arch.

If you hips lean to one side, focus harder on staying symettrical.

Please provide a side video so we can help you further. Your technique, and particularly how much you are leaning over looks rather kooky. Like a good morning, but this may simply be due to your proportions.

A wider stanch is usually a good idea of lanky people, is will help you stay more vertical also.

160lb at 6'2" is skinny, and you look it too. I dont think anyone is going to believe you about "eating a lot".

1) Learn how to arch your lower back:

http://vimeo.com/22011422

2) Watch the bar path on the way down. About half way down or so, the bar starts going forward, and this gets worse as the set progresses. The bar should be traveling more or less in a straight line up and down when viewed from the side. This implies you are going on your toes pretty badly, i.e. your weight is in front of midfoot. This probably has something to do with your lack of depth (i.e. if you went much deeper you'd literally fall forward).

3) When you figure out how to arch your lower back and keep your weight over midfoot, go deeper, as deep as you can while maintaining the previous two (lower back locked in lordosis, weight over midfoot). Since you're pretty badly on your toes, you'll probably have to think "weight on the heels."

4) Buy a pair of (olympic) weightlifting shoes. With your proportions, it'd probably help all of the above quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by karansag View Post
    I'm 6'2, ~160 pounds. I eat a lot.
    I would beg to differ. If you are 160 pounds at 6'2", you are not eating a lot. Not even close.

Thanks for the help--I'll take the advice, and post a couple of video of me trying to correct the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    4) Buy a pair of (olympic) weightlifting shoes. With your proportions, it'd probably help all of the above quite a bit.
    To clarify, olympic weightlifting shoes are NOT the same as "squat shoes," right? This shoe, which is "designed for the Starting Strength program,"
    http://buyweightliftingshoes.com/rev...rip-boot-shoe/ is what Rip calls a 'squat shoe' in Starting Strength? Just wondering, why do you recommend the olympic weightlifting shoe?

@Dastardly and TomC: I agree--I should eat more. I said that I ate a lot not to brag about how heavy I am, but to suggest I know it's important to stuff your face. But even then, I should ramp it up--I haven't done GOMAD yet.

Describe your diet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by karansag View Post
    Thanks for the help--I'll take the advice, and post a couple of video of me trying to correct the problems.

To clarify, olympic weightlifting shoes are NOT the same as "squat shoes," right? This shoe, which is "designed for the Starting Strength program,"
    http://buyweightliftingshoes.com/rev...rip-boot-shoe/ is what Rip calls a 'squat shoe' in Starting Strength? Just wondering, why do you recommend the olympic weightlifting shoe?

@Dastardly and TomC: I agree--I should eat more. I said that I ate a lot not to brag about how heavy I am, but to suggest I know it's important to stuff your face. But even then, I should ramp it up--I haven't done GOMAD yet.
    Are those the shoes you're lifting in right now? Either those or weightlifting shoes proper would be appropriate for lifting. Tennis shoes are not.

Are you drinking any milk at all?

Why are you squatting above parallel? I think you're problem is that you're thinking too much. Stop overanalyzing everything, there's enough time later for that. Start squatting below parallel, start stuffing your face, drink your milk.

Describe your diet for RobCor, and when you've gained 10 lbs come back with a new video of your new squat to correct depth.