starting strength gym

Thread: What counts as a set?

Default What counts as a set?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is kind of a dumb question but I was deadlifting today and it was a new weight for me. During my work set, I did 2 reps, and was so exhausted that I had to wait about 10 seconds before the next rep, and had to do the same for the last 2 reps. Before the 4th and 5th reps I had to let go of the bar, stand up, and catch my breath. Was I cheating?

Sunil

That's no longer a set. A set is unbroken. Doing it that way is better than quitting completely, though.

Generally I think it counts as a set if you don't take your hands off the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Generally I think it counts as a set if you don't take your hands off the bar.
    This + you don't take a 1-2 minute power-naps between reps.

Usually on my last deadlift rep I need to take ~5-10 seconds to catch my breath, but I don't let go of the bar. Between the other reps, it's just a couple seconds to reset and make sure everything is all good before I pull again.

When I began ss I needed to let go of the bar and completely reset to get into proper position for each rep. As long as I did this immedeatly without taking extra breaths/vegging out I called it a set.

If you have to question whether or not you did a set you probably cheated a little. No big deal, you'll get it next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    When I began ss I needed to let go of the bar and completely reset to get into proper position for each rep. As long as I did this immedeatly without taking extra breaths/vegging out I called it a set.
    I'd say it is far more important to ensure the correct technique than try to do reps as a set. If I'm unsure of the correct (decent) form at the bottom, I step away from the bar and reset completely, if I think it's necessary. It's not set but sure beats failure / injure caused by crappy form. I'd be even willing to say that is even more important when one is a rank novice.
    Last edited by BarbellSissy; 04-13-2011 at 02:26 AM.